New Headway, 4th edition - Student's book - p.77 - Beginners level
Beginners A1 level
To provide practice in listening for gist and specific details in the context of holidays
grammar - present and past simple
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- T asks sts about the weather today. "How is the weather like today?" (It's hot.) "Is hot in winter or summer?" (in summer) - T hangs 4 pieces of paper on the walls on each is written one of the seasons. - Sts are given pieces of paper with the moths written on them. Sts move around and stick the months under the appropriate season. - Drill the pronunciation of seasons and months.
- Sts are shown the first slide on the board and told that these are Jack and Millie. - T elicits the word 'holiday' from sts. "They are on .......". If they don't get it, sts are given the first letter as a prompt. - Sts are shown the second slide on the board and asked to guess where the pictures are taken. T tries to elicit the word 'cable car'.
- Sts are shown the picture on slide 3 and T elicits the word 'skiing'. T asks sts, "Do we go skiing in summer or winter?" (winter) "Where do you go skiing in Turkey?" (Bursa). T drills the pronunciation with the word go 'go skiing'. - Sts are shown the picture on slide 4 and T elicits the word 'ice-skating'. T drills the pronunciation with the word go 'go ice-skating'. - Sts are shown the picture on slide 5 and T tries to elicit the phrase 'play cards'. T drills the pronunciation with sts. - Sts are shown the picture on slide 6 and T tries to elicit the word 'villa'. Sts are asked, "Is a villa big or small?" (big) "Is a villa expensive or cheap?" (expensive) T drills the pronunciation. - Sts are shown the picture on slide 7 and T tries to elicit the word 'diner'. Sts are told that a diner is usually cheaper than a restaurant and mostly serves breakfast or fast food. Sts are reminded that 'diner' is spelled with only one 'n'. T drills the pronunciation with sts.
- Sts are told that they are going to listen to Jack and Millie talking about two holidays. Sts are asked to listen to see how different the two holidays are. Sts are shown the question on slide 8, "Are the two holidays the same or different?" - T plays recording 10.9. - Sts check their answers with a partner.
- Sts are given SB p.77 and are asked to quickly go through the phrases in exercise 3. - Sts are asked to listen and circle one - T plays recording 10.9. - Sts are asked to check answers with a partner. - T might play the recording again if sts still have problems. - Sts are shown the answer key on the board. Note: If sts have no problems and they do the activity without listening again, T will consider having them do exercise 5 before the last activity.
- Sts are asked to work in pairs to do exercise 4. - Sts are asked to ask and answer with a partner about Jack and Millie's holidays. - Sts go back to exercise 3 for the answers. - T elicits the full questions from sts and explains that we have to ask the same question twice, one in present simple and one in past simple.
- Sts are asked to work with a different partner, ask and answer the questions about their usual and last holiday to find two things in common and two things that are different in their holidays. time limit: 5 - T models the activity with one of the sts. - T monitors and takes notes for DEC on the board.