Fact or fiction
Intermediate, B1 level
To provide gist, specific information and detailed listening practice using a radio programme about biopics in the context of films and history
To provide fluency speaking practice in a discussion expressing opinions in the context of a quiz "Hollywood vs History"
To provide review of the vocabulary about the types of films in the context of films and history
Procedure (30-44 minutes)
- Today we will talk about movies and about facts that we usually see in the films. First, I want to see how many types of films you know. I'll give you some cut ups, you have to work with a partner and match the types of films with the definition. SS work in pairs complting the matching task, when they are ready, ast them to check the pair next to them. Show the answers on the board. - Now I want you to work with the pair that you checked and discuss the following question - Which types of movies do you enjoy and why?
- I'll show you some photos of famouse people. In pairs discuss what theyare famouse for. - Good, no whave a look at the actors who played them in the movies. Again in your pairs talk about the following - How they prepared for the roles? What was difficult for them?
- We will listen to the 1st part of a radio programme about films. You have to listen carefully and answer 2 questions - What type of films does the programme talk about? Why are these films so popular? Show the questions on the board, SS listen to the recording and take notes. After that check their answers in pairs.
Show the pictures of the famouse people and the actors and the questions. - Now we will listen to the 2nd part of the radio programme - you task will be to answer the questions by matching a question with a letter? Are you going to write down the whole sentence? (No) What are you going to write? (a letter) Before listening give SS 1 minute to read the questions. Play the recording, SS do the task individually, check in pairs (different pairs - rearrange), get the FB on the board.
- Now I'll give you some questions to see how much you remember from the radio programme. Work alone, please, and tick the answers that you think are right. SS tick what they can remember, then play the recording again for them to check. After listening for the second time, SS check with a partner and get the FB on the WB.
- Do you always believe everything that you see in the films if you watch a period drama? I'll give you a quiz which I want you to discuss in groups - read the statements and decide whether they are true, false or partly true. SS discuss the facts about films, guessing if they are right or not. At the end of the activity get them look through the keys to check your guesses.