To teach the grammar of Past Simple (regular verb) in the context of news in newspapers.
Provide the students with chance to read and listen to understand the target language in context of news in newspapers.
Procedure (29-45 minutes)
- I will show Ss the newspaper and I will read one short news. I will ask them can they say what was it or can they explain what kind of information was it. - I want elicit from Ss word "news" to set the lesson context and I will explain that today they will learn Past simple and regular verbs. -I will ask the Ss to alter the sentences from ex. 1 to make them true for themselves. I will read for them one example and answer. They can compare it in pairs. I will tell students to ask their partner an additional question and then ask randomly some of them. 1. I buy a newspaper every day/three times a week/once a week. 2. I always/sometimes/never read the news in English. 3. I listen/don't listen to the radio in the morning. 4. I prefer to read a newspaper/watch the news on TV. 5. I always/sometimes/never read the news on the internet.
- Before I will give them the text to read I will explain two words in the text (they might not know it) decade - a period of 10 years. launch- send or shoot (something such as a rocket) - I will give them the text about the most important dates in the history of global news and ask them to decide the dacede in which the event happened. They can guess. The dacedes are in chronological order to help. -Ss will work in pairs and they can check their answers. As a FB I will write the answers on WB. -Later on I will tell Ss to listen audio recording 3.01 to complete the "Exact Year" column. -They can check their answers in pairs and then I will show correct answers on the WB.
- Before I will ask them to look at the text again I will remember them the lesson from Friday when Teachers were presenting meaning of "was/were". - I will ask them to look at the text and circle the verbs like; used, to send, presented, started, launched, was,watched, produced, created, started. -With two exceptions, the verbs are all regular verbs in the simple past. - I will ask Ss when those events happened. Now or in the past? - I will ask Ss what they notice about the spelling and what time the verbs refer to - present or past.
- I will analyse the target language, meaning, form, pronunciation.( I will draw a timeline and use examples) Form: Subject + regular verbs in the past simple ( verb + d, ed, ied) Start - started Example: (positive) Al Jazeera started in Doha. (negative) Al Jazeera didn't start in Doha (Question) Did Al Jazeera start in Doha? - I will inform Ss also about what time it refers to past like: yesterday, two days ago, last Tuesday.
- I will give Ss and HO (ex. 2, p. 79 from course book and ex. 1A p. 45 from work book) to complete the text with regular past simple verbs. I will write one example. -They will work in pairs and then they can check their answers. I will ask some Ss to write the answers on the WB. - Later on Ss will try to do another activity but this time rewrite the headlines in the past simple, including the time expression given, (starting from the words in brackets), ex. 3 p. 79 course book. - I will write the first headline on the board. - They can work in small groups and then I will ask some students to anwer. - This time I will mingle Ss beacuse for this activity they need to move a little bit. - (ex. 1B, p. 45 work book) I will put on the WB six sentences from the activity. On the floor I will put another 6 sentences and 6 regulars verbs to complete the missing verb in the sentences on the floor. When they will match it correctly they will put their sentences near the sentence on the WB. -Ss will work in 3 small groups. Example: Sentence of the board. "Today, men and women present the news. Sentence on the floor: When my grandparents were young, only men (presented) the news. (presented is the regular verb that they need to match with the sentence).