CELTA Demo Lesson
By the end of the lesson, ss will have been introduced to and used language to ask and talk about free time activities & frequency.
Ss will have developed the ability to listen for gist and specific info in the context of a free time survey
Procedure (59-90 minutes)
1. Introduce myself and write my name on the board 2. Ask ss to write their names on name cards 3. Refer ss to aims of the lesson on the board (1. ask and answer questions about free time 2. develop listening skills)
1. (on the whiteboard) Develop a spidergram with FREE TIME in the middle. 2. ‘Do you work all the time? Do you work in your free time? What do people do in their free time?’ 3. Elicit / introduce target free time vocab (see board plan) 4. ‘Now in pairs, talk about what you do in your free time.’ 5. Ss report back to the class on partner’s activities.
1. Establish meaning of survey. Show pic of man and interviewer. ‘What can you see in the pic?’ (woman talking to man) ‘Do you think they’re friends? Why not?’ (she’s holding a clipboard, they’re standing in the street ) ‘What do you think the woman is saying?’ (asking Qs) ‘Do you think she’s asking questions only to this man?’ (no, to many people) ‘She’s doing a survey about free time.’ Concept Qs: ‘Is she asking him only 1 question?’ (no, many questions) ‘Will she ask many people the same questions?’ (yes) ‘What kind of questions will she ask?...
1. ‘Now listen and tick the activities she asks about.’ (see work sheet Ex A) 2. Ss check in pairs 3. Whole class feedback
1. ‘Now listen again and fill in the survey.’ (see work sheet Ex B) 2. Ss check in pairs 3. Whole class feedback
1. ‘How does the woman start her questions? How often do you… (on whiteboard) ‘How often does the man go to a bar?’ once a week (on whiteboard) ‘How often does the man go to the theatre?’ twice a month (on whiteboard) ‘How often does the man go on holiday?’ twice a year (on whiteboard) ‘Which happens most often? once a week (write 1 on whiteboard) ‘Which happens least often? twice a year (write 3 on whiteboard) 2. ‘Now in pairs order these words and expressions from most often to least often’ (see worksheet Ex C) 3. Whole class feedback
1. Refer ss back to the question & answers on WB. Say the Qs & As and ask ss to listen for the stress. 2. Mark the stress on the board and point out we only stress important (content) words. 3. Ask ss to repeat the Qs & As marking the stress as appropriate.
1. (write on whiteboard): I go to a bar once a week. I never go to museums. ‘Which are the time words?’ (underline) ‘Which is the adverb? Which is the time expression?’ (indicate on board) ‘Does the adverb go before or after the verb?’ (before) ‘‘Does the time expression go before the verb or at the end of the sentence?’ (at the end) 2. ‘Now in pairs make sentences with these words.’ (see work sheet Ex D) 3. Whole class feedback
1. ‘In pairs, write your own free time survey. Write at least 5 questions’ (5min) 2. ‘In groups, take turns to ask your questions. Find out who does the activities in your survey most often’ (10min) 3. ‘Tell the class the results of your survey’ (5min)
(choose one option depending on time) 1. Half a crossword 2. Blockbusters
1. Remind ss of today's aims and ask if there are any questions. 2. Thank ss for participating and remind them of next lesson.