Beginner A1 level
To provide clarification, review and practice of "this" and "that"
To provide student with production of listening, speaking and writing skills using TL
Procedure (35-53 minutes)
- T displays PPP of three pictures on WB - T elicits from students what they think is going on in the pictures. - T gives Ho to Ss with more pictures. They have to match the conversation with picture. - T provides an answer key for students.
- T walks around classroom and uses examples of "this" and "that'. - T walk next to a students and says this is "abdulah", this is my cell phone - T points to an object and persons farther away in the class room. That is Ayham, That is a computer. - T then asks Ss "what this questions" "whose this questions". Points to students and object close to the student to elicit "this". T makes sure students are using this in complete sentences. - T then asks Ss "what is that questions"/ "who is that question". Points to an object far away in the class room and has Ss use "that" in a complete sentence. T points to student far away in the class room and has Ss use "that" in a complete sentence.
- T presents on the WB 'this" and "that" - T draws 2 pictures of him self. and an object in this case a laptop - First laptop is close to him (this represents this) - Second laptop is far away from me (That) - T asks Ss if they use either "this" or "that" in the first picture - T asks Ss if they use either "this" or "that" in the 2nd picture.
- T presents small PPP on board that clarifies the difference between "this" vs "that" - Use "this": things/people that are a close distance to you - Use that": things/people that are a farther distance from you. - T checks Ss understanding by pointing to an item close to him and asking do I use "this" or "that" - T checks Ss understanding by pointing to an item far away from and asking do I use "this" or "that".
- T gives Ss a HO and puts Ss in pairs. Gives them 3 to 5 minutes to complete the handout. - This time Ss will fill in the gaps using "this" or "that" - After Ss are done handout, the T plays Ss listening audio 7.4 for students to compare and check answers. - T will put up Answer Key on WB and discuss any problems they may have
- Ss are put into pairs and are given another HO gap fill exercise - The HO will be divided in 2 separate sheets - First group to correctly complete the exercise wins
-Ss are given a blank piece of paper and are asked to draw a picture similar to the pictures they have seen today - Ss are supposed to write down what they are doing using the TL - After they are done, the Ss discuss their pictures with other Ss - T monitors and writes down any mistakes for delayed error correction