New Headway, 4th edition - Student's book - p.48-49 - Beginners level
Beginners A1 level
To provide practice in gist reading and detailed reading in the context of celebrities interviews
To review wh-question word in the context of celebrities interviews
Procedure (39-46 minutes)
- T asks sts: 1. Do you remember last lesson? 2. What is my favorite food? (meat balls) 3. What is my favorite drink? (coffee) - T projects the first slide of the ppp that has a box with seven words or phrases. Make sure sts understand all of them by asking for one example for each. - Get one student to ask you: 'What is your favorite food?' to model the activity. Encourage sts to speak more by answering: 'Meat balls. Mmmmmm I love it. it is delicious. Meat balls in Sultan Ahmet is amazing.' so that they can recycle the adjectives they learnt in the previous lesson. - Have sts work in pairs and ask and answer. time limit: 2mts - Regroup sts and give them 2 more mts to talk to another partner. - Get some fb from sts about their peers.
- T shows sts a picture of a girl and says that she is a famous person and her name is Gina Macy. - T shows sts a photo of the Eiffel tower and elicits from sts what it has to do with the picture of the girl. possible answers: (She lives in Paris./ She works in Paris./ She is from Paris.) try to elicit these answers. - T shows sts a picture of two girls and a boy and also elicits what it has to do with the photo of the girl.
- T tries to elicit the word 'model' by walking like a model in class. - T tries to elicit the word 'divorced' by using gestures, pulling a ring out and throwing it away. T might make sure that sts know'single' and 'married'. - T tries to elicit the word 'designer' by showing sts a picture. T shows them a picture of a 'tailor' to make sure they get the difference. - T tries to elicit the word 'adore' by drawing a cline on the board, writing like, love, then....(adore)...
- Tell sts that they are going to read a text from a celebrity website answering questions. the celebrity is the blonde girl they saw earlier in the lesson. - Tell sts that they have only 4 mts to read the text and choose what they think Gina Macy's job is. present the question and the three options on the board. ICQ: Are you going to read quickly or slowly? - Give sts copies of the text on p.49 with two words from the title blanked out. - Have sts compare their answers with a partner. get fb from sts
- Give sts HO1 and give them two minutes to work with a partner and try to guess the missing wh-question words. - Go through them with the class. Make sure that they got them right. - Give sts HO2 to make sure they know the meaning of question words. Have them work in pairs. time limit: 2 mts - Go through them with the class to make sure they got the right answers. - Tell sts that now they are going to work individually, read the text again and try to answer the questions in HO1. time limit: 5 mts - Check answers with sts
- Have sts look at ppp and go through the questions to explain what they can write in the blanks. - Try to elicit what they can fill in the blanks. Possible answers: (3) husband, wife, father, mother, sister, brother (4) Sivas, Bursa, Izmir (5) children, siblings, brothers and sisters (7) children, brothers, sisters.../ Swedish, American... (8) movies, football matches, English courses.../ watch, play, take... - Give sts 5 mts to ask and answer the questions with a partner. - DEC write both good and incorrect language on the board.