Life changes, vocabulary lesson
Intermediate B1 level
To provide clarification, review and practice using phrases used to describe the changes that occur in ones life
To provide fluency in conversation using the target vocabulary phrases about life changes
Procedure (43-55 minutes)
- T provides quote on PPP and puts the Ss in pairs to discuss what they think this quote means. T provides them on minute before introducing topic of "Life" - T will present a PPP of several photos: Birth, a break up, getting a job, graduating university, getting married. - T will put Ss back into groups to discuss they pictures. T will ask Ss what they believe is the biggest moment in life based of the picture and ask them if any have had these experiences and to elaborate on their feelings about this moment in their life.
- T will provide Ss with HO to determine how much pre-knowledge of these phrases the Ss know. The Ss will complete the HO in groups. They will 2 to 3 minutes - The HO will have the phrases in chunks - take an/ unexpected turn - be at/ a crossroads - go their/ separate ways - there will be/ no turning back - take a/ new direction - time to/move on - take/ off - embark / on a new journey - T while checkin answer illicit from the Ss how much they know about these phrases
T will go through all 8 vocabulary phrases - Take an unexpected turn - be at a crossroads - go their separate ways - embark on a new stage of life - there will be no turning back - take a new direction - to take off -T will provide Ss clarification of these phrases -T will provide proper pronunciation and drill Ss on proper pronunciation - T will provide vocabulary phrases in sentences for Ss to practice
- T will place pictures of these phrases around the CR - T will place Ss intro groups and provide them with all the phrases on a small piece of paper. - In groups the Ss will walk around and place the phrases with the appropriate pictures.
- T will give Ho to Ss. - Ss will work in pairs to fill out the Ho - After they are done T will play audio tape and Ss will correct answers. - After Ss complete listening activity, T will go over any problems Ss have.
- T will put Ss pack in pairs and Ss will discuss the questions on the hang out. -T must remind students to use the target language during the discussion and make sure Ss use it in complete sentences. - T will monitor Ss to answer any questions to assure that TL is being used. - After Ss group discussion, T will check if Ss have learned TL by asking them to give some of their sentences. - T will error correct any sentence that is incorrect