• To provide clarification and practice of Present Perfect Continuous in the context of fear and phobias
• To provide gist and detailed listening practice using a text about snakes in the context of fear and phobias
Procedure (37-45 minutes)
- T pretends to have a snake in her bag and says ' Today I've brought my pet snake to school! It's in my bag. Would you like to see it? Here it is.' - T gets some reactions from students and this will lead into a discussion. - HO discussion questions and have students discuss the questions in groups. - FB on student's anwers
- Draw a simple snake on the board. - Elicit it. (snake) - Make rattling noise. - Elicit that it is a rattlesnake. -Drill pronunciation
Gist Listening: - Tell students they are going to listen to recording about snakes. - Tell students that they are going to listen to the first part of the recording and write the question" What's the presenter going to do in this program?" on the board. - Instruct them to answer the question. - SS check their answers in pairs. - T writes the correct answer on the board. Detail Listening: - Tell students that they are going to listen to the rest of the recording. - Show the task on the board. - Instruct them to makes notes about the things on the paper. - HO the task. - SS check their answers with partners. - Show suggested answers on the board.
- Show the guided discovery task HO to students. - Instruct them to answer all the questions on the HO with a partner. - Ask ICQs ( do we answer all the questions? Do we work with a partner or individually?) - Go over the answers with SS on the board. - Ask extra CCQs if students have difficulty with the meaning. ( For this sentence, which is more important; action or duration?, Is this one finished or still going on?) - Drill pronunciation.
Practice One: - Show the task on the board. - Instruct them to individually and fill in the gaps in the sentences using both Present Perfect Simple and Present Perfect Continuous. - Ask ICQs ( Are we working in pairs? Are we going to use only Present Perfect Continuous?) - Have students complete the exercise and then check in pairs. - Show the answers on the board. - FB on their performance. Practice Two: - Tell students to turn over their HO. - Instruct them to work in pairs and change four of the words in bold into Present Perfect Simple. Show on the board. - Ask ICQs. ( Are we going to work individually or with a partner?) - Have them complete the exercise.. - Invite four students on the board to make the changes. - FB ask CCQs for the senteces. - Tell students to turn over their HO. - Instruct them to work in pairs and
- Show HO to SS - Instruct SS to write 4 sentences about themselves ( two true and two false) using the present perfect continuous using the verbs on their HO. SS work in pairs after they write their sentences. - Ask ICQs ( How many sentences do we write? Do we write with our partners?) - HO the task. - SS work in pairs and read their sentences to their partners. - SS try to guess which sentences of their partners are false. - FB students about their guesses.