Living in fear, Examining Fears and phobias
Upper Intermediate, B2 level
• To practice reading for gist, specific reading and detail reading in the context of "Living in fear".
Vocabulary: Word building
Procedure (31-45 minutes)
- Teacher will present a PPT slide picture to introduce the topic of the lesson "Fears & Phobias". -Teacher will ask SS to describe people's feelings in the pictures and whose lives are are more complicated? - Then he moves to the other slide to present extra types of fears and phobias
- Teacher will give students HO1 of anticipated difficult vocabulary. - He will ask students to work in pairs to match definitions with their explanations. - Teacher will show the answer key to students to correct.
- Students work in pairs and try to predict answers for the questions 1-5 in ex.1 (HO1) depending on the pictures and their knowledge about thesubject.
- Teacher will ask students to go back again to ex.1, but now they will work individually and skim read the text (HO3) quickly and find the exact answers to compare with their previous answers. - Students discuss answers in pairs and then the teacher provides the answers.
Teacher will explain & write the procedures on the board: - First, Divide students into 3 jigsaw groups of 5 students. ( A- B- C- D- E) - Appoint one student from each group as the leader. - Divide the day’s lesson into 5 segments. - Assign each student to learn one segment. - 5m to read over their segments - ( As - Bs - Cs- Ds - Es) join each other and write notes about their segments. 5m to discuss - Students back into their Home jigsaw groups. - Ask each student to present her or his segment to the group. 5m - Float from group to group, observing the process. - At the end of the session, give a quiz on the material. HO
- After finishing their discussion with their groups, teacher will ask them to do a quiz individually to answer and hand them (HO4) T/F questions about the reading. - Pair check the answers. - Teacher provides the answer key.
Teacher will have students move to vocab. ex.1 (HO5)