Erdogan Dalmis,15 Jul 2016 ,The Mind / Unusual Achievement
Upper-Intermesiate B2 level
To give Ss practice in the integrated skills of reading for gist and details,and speaking fluency in the context of gender
To introduce related vocabulary
Procedure (19-26 minutes)
-Ask Ss get into pairs to brainstorm about the photo -introduce the topic by asking Ss to read the title and describe the picture on Ex .1,pg.40 and 41 -Elicit the meaning of " gender gaps" and ask if Ss think men and women are better at different things which can be done on WB. -Keep the atmosphere light to avoid Ss becoming emotional or upset -Do you believe that man and women are naturally better at certain things ? -which sex tends to be better at Ex.1.pg.40 ? - -
- Put Ss into pairs and tell them to discuss the questions .Ex.1,pg.40. - Give Ss a few minutes to do the activity and check answers as a whole class - What are the differences between men and women ? - Which statement do you thing are true?
- Put Ss into pairs .Introduce the text ,give them a few minutes and a few minutes to read quickly and check their answers as a whole class.Ex.2,pg.40. - Motivate ss to concentrate themselves to the topic. -tell them not worry about problem vocabulary at this stage.
-Ask Ss to work individually -Tell them to read the text again and underline the sections thatn give the information. -Ask ICQ`s to clarify any misunderstanding/ -Put Ss in pairs to check their answers.Ex3.pg.40. -Ask Ss which lines in the text gave them the information.
- Put Ss into pairs.Explain the guessing meaning from the context is important skill - Ask Ss to guess the meaning of the given words and phrases from the text,without looking at the dictionary.Ex.4,pg.40. -Monitor and help if necessary
- Put Ss in small groups (3 or 4), - Allow time to discuss the questions in Ex.5,pg.40. - Make sure they explain their opinions and ask each other questions. - Monitor and help if necessary.
- Pur Ss into pairs and ask them to match the adjectives with their definitions.Ex.1,pg.41. - Elicit and give example sentences if necessary - Show the answers on the WB - How many adjectives in the box can you match to their definitions ?