To practice reading for gist and detail
To learn new vocabulary in the context of hobbies and jobs
- Show SS pictures of famous people and see if they know them - Ask SS "What do people do when they meet a famous person?" - Collect ideas and if no one mentions asking famous person to sign their name, say "would you do this?" and mime . -Teach the word autograph and elicit the difference between autograph and signature. - Show SS some autographs of famous people and see if they can guess who they belong to.
- Pass out HO's for SS to match vocabulary words with definitions. - PW to check the answers. - CQ's for some words(trade, track down...etc)
- Write three one-sentence summaries of the reading text on the board(one true, two false answers) - Give students one minute to skim the text. - Have them choose the correct answer.
- Have students read the text and complete exercise 1. - Check the answers in pairs. - Have students complete exercise 2. - Pair check and then the whole class check.
- Hand out discussion questions(speaking ex.3 p.10) - Have SS discuss the questions in pairs.