The main aim of this lesson is to provide the students with the knowledge of the English equivalent of the things that they deal with on a daily basis (e.g., objects like mobile, notebook, bag etc.). As the target students are beginners, this gives them the initial confidence they need to acquire in order to be able to make rapports with their immediate environment because, after learning the English equivalent of their surrounding objects, they get the feeling that, YES, I am capable of learning this language and gradually they get encouraged to expand it to boost up the good feeling.
1. To get students better focus on the production of sounds and stress of the words, which in turn will positively affect their listening and speaking skills. 2. To boost the students’ memory in the TL by asking them to recall the objects they have seen in the picture, which has long-term positive effects on their language learning experience.
Procedure (29-45 minutes)
First, students are shown a bag full of things. They listen to the teacher and look at the objects as they are introduced to them. Afterwards, some pictures of different bags (baby bag, student bag, girl bag) will be projected on the board; students will be asked to guess whose bag they can be and say the objects they know out-loud.
- Handouts will be distributed to all students. - Meanwhile they can see the same page on the board in color. - SS will be asked to work in pairs and match the vocabulary with the numbered items in the picture. - After about 5 minutes, the teacher will call up voluntary students to come to the board and match the items. - Now SS can check their answers from the board. - It is time for the teacher to pronounce each word in a clear way and ask the SS to repeat after her. She must make sure all students repeat and learn the correct pronunciation.
- SS will be asked to turn over the paper so that they do not see the vocabulary. - Two Ss are chosen to take turn and say a number from the picture, the other student should say the corresponding item of the number in the picture. - This game is repeated for all students to participate.
- First, students are check upon to assure that they know where to use a or an by filling in the gaps in their handouts. - Then, they should apply this knowledge by practicing with the new vocabulary. - Two exceptions to the basic rule are introduced to make the SS acquainted with the concept of sounds's importance in the TL. - Next comes the topic of plural form of the words. Different variants of plural will be presented and practiced with as many objects as possible until students have mastered the topic.
- SS will be asked to take another look at the handouts and see if they have understood everything, they are encouraged to feel free and ask for clarification if they find somewhere ambiguous.