Heroes and Icons of Our Time
Reading - Scan reading, ss will try to get answers to some questions related to the text.
Reading - Skimming for gist, Ss will try to match headlines with paragraphs while reading quickly and getting a general idea about each paragraph
Speaking - Both in the pre-reading and the post-reading parts ss will talk about iconic figures and characteristics of them
Procedure (37-45 minutes)
- Show the pictures of Atatürk, Gandhi and Mandela, Ask. "Who are these people?" "Are they special people?" "What did they do? Why are they speacial?" - Let them talk in pairs
- Show ss the vocabulry CUs "Work in groups and match the vocabulary with the definitions." - Check in pairs and then give the AK.
- Show them the text and the headline CUs "Here we have four paragraphs and four headlines." "Read the paragraphs quickly and match the headlines with them." "Work alone and you have 2 minutes." - Give the HOs - Pair chack and then AK.
- Jigsaw reading if there are enough students - Show them the questions "Now read the text again and find the answers to these questions." "Work alone and you have 4 minutes." - Check in pairs and AK.
- Tell students to put the actions of the people in the text in order of importance. - Write on board. 1. The most important.............................4. Important. - After they ordered tell them to talk about their decissions.
- Write on board "If I had the power. I would...........because.........." - Tell students what heroic, iconic important help they would do if they had the power. - They can take 1 minute to think by themselves, they can take notes if they like, and talk with their pairs.