Teaching practice 8
Upper Intermediate level
To provide clarification and practice of 'the and geographical names' in the context of the story of the discovery of America by the Chinese explorer Zheng He
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in the context of itinerary
Procedure (45-53 minutes)
1) T shows the world map on the board. 2) Sts discuss this question; What interesting places are in the world that you wish to see? 3) Sts share some ideas. anticipated P 1
1) T gives the flash cards and says, "with your partner talk about the places written on the cards" 2) T asks the Sts to put the cards on the board.: Now stand up and find these places on the map and stick the card on the map" 3) T shows flash cards on which 'the' is written. says, " You know with some of these places we use 'the with some of them we don't use 'the'. I'd like you to discuss with your partner on whether 'the' can go with these words or not. then stand up and come to the board to stick the cards. Anticipated P 2 and 3 4) Sts put the cards on the board. 5) T says, " This is my own map.I'd like you to check these places with my map." 6) HOs are given Sts in pairs discuss the answers 7) Some students come to the board and correct the map. Anticipated Problems 2 and 3, 4
1) T gives the HOs. and says, 'complete the table with the place names given but first fold the paper. ICQs: Alone or with your partner? alone 2) Check answers in pairs. 3) T gives the answer key. 4) Practice and Drill 5) T is ready for anticipated Problems ,5,6,7,8
1) T says, " This paragraph is an itinerary. read it carefully and fill the gaps with 'the' if it is necessary" ICQs : Are you going to work alone? Yes Can you get help with the map? Yes 2) T gives HOs. 3) T puts the students in pairs to check the answers. ( possibly change pairs) ICQs, : Are you going to check the correct answers and discuss the reasons? Yes 4) T gives the answers written on HO. 5) WCFB. T asks some of the answers reasons. T is ready for anticipated problem 9.
1) T gives the instructions and demos as well. "There are some cards. Can you say what these words are?" Ss reply, "Place names." "I will give one card to each student. Y, Could you please help me?" "Do you show the front of the card? Yes " "Do you show the back of the card? No, because the correct answer is written on the back of the card. " The teacher and students Y give the answers and the teacher continues the instructions. "Is this the right answer? Yes" "Do I give my card to Y? Yes" "How much time? 2 minutes" "Do you walk around the class and talk to all students? Yes" After 2 minutes the T put the students in new groups of 3 or 4. It depends on the number of the students.
1) Sts are in groups. 2) T says, " You are a travel agency and in your group, you will make up a trip plan (itinerary) with the cards you have now. But you have to add 4 more place names. you can get help with the map and draw your trip on it." ICQs: Are you going to make up a trip plan? Yes with the cards you have? Yes. will you add more places? Yes. how many? at least 4 Do you draw up your itinerary on the map? Yes 3) After 5 minutes the second stage starts.
If T has extra time, then 4) T says, "Now you are going to write an itinerary, a paragraph like the first practice we had." ICQs: Does your itinerary include all places you have drawn on the map? Yes, Should your itinerary be interesting? Yes 5) After that all itineraries on the walls. 6) T says, " stand up walk around the class read the itineraries and choose the most interesting trip plan" 7) WC discuss and decide on the best itinerary. If T doesn't have extra time, then 4) T says, " Now choose one person as a tour leader. 5) T waits that the students decide. 6) T gives more instructions ," Now all tour leaders should explain their tour plans." ICQs: Do you tour leaders join other groups? Yes Do you talk about your tour plans? Yes 7) T says, " at the end I'd like you to tell me which group has the most expensive tour? and which group has the most adventurous plan? 8) T monitors
Delayed error correction. If T has extra time then, T will put the errors on the board and students try to correct the mistakes. If T doesn't have extra time T will correct the students with questioning intonation