The Secret of Success
Vocabulary in the context of success
Speaking - Ss will be speaking about diiferent elements that contribute to achieve success
Reading - Ss will read small paragraphs of success stories
Procedure (37-45 minutes)
- Ask students what it takes to achieve success. "Can you name a successful person? Steve Jobs, William Shakespear?" "What is success for you? Money, a good career, a beautiful husband/wife?" "What do you need to be succesful?" - Get students' opinions and highlight any vocabulary that is related." - Tell ss to work in groups and find three elements that contribute to achieve success. - Instructions for the activity. "Please read these ideas of famous people and compare their ideas on success with yours." - Get each group's ideas.
- Show ss the HO and give instructions. "Please fold the sheet first." "For this activity you will work alone and you will do the exercise A." "You will fill in the blanks in the sentences with the phrases in the box." "You have 2 minutes." - ICQs "What is the first thing we need to do?" "Are we working alone or in group?" "Are we using the phrases in the box?" - After they are finished tell them to check in pairs. - Give them the answer key. - Second activity... "Now unfold your sheets and match the definitions with the phrases." "You are working alone and you have one minute." - Monitor the ss and try to get which phrases are difficult for them. - After they are finished tell them to check in pairs and then give them the answer key.
- Check the meaning of the phrases and vocabulary that were difficult for the ss by eliciting. - Drill the words for pronunciation. - Write them on the board and show the stress points.
- Divide students into three groups. - Show them the HO annd give instructions. "You will work alone and read these short paragraphs. And then you will find what made these people successful. Was it working hard or luck or what? And you will give tips/advice on how to be successful to your readers." - After they are finished tell them to share their ideas in groups.
- Regroup ss into groups of 3-4 - Tell students to think about a memory of themselves where they achieved success and do a short preperation for it. And then they should tell their stories to each other.