Can I help you?
To present and practice functional language used for shopping
Speaking - To practice the TL in the context of shopping through a role play
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
- Show pics of the shops and elicit the names - ECDW for the difficult ones. - Ask "what can you buy from this shop?" - Ask "how can you ask for the price?" - Cover pronouns 'it, this, they, these'
- ***********GIST************ - "Work with your partner and write one item you can buy from each shop, you have 1 minute" - ICQs "Are you working alone or with your partner?" "How many items are you writing for one shop?" "How many items are you writing in total?" - Give the chart to students - Prepare the audio!! - Give instructions "Listen and check, do you have the same item with the shoppers in the audio?" + ICQs "Are you only listening? or also checking something?" "What are you checking?" - Let them check in pairs - Write the answers on the board - Clean the board - ********** SCAN********** - "Let's listen again and fill this chart" - Play the audio and let them finish - Call one person from each table and give them the answer key - "Ask your partner and get the answer"
- Show them the gap-filling activity handout and audioscript - Tell them to work in pairs and fill the missing words in the sentences - Let them work on the activity and give the answer key - Ask CCQs "How do you ask for another size?" "How do you say you have a problem?" "How do you say you liked it and want to buy?"
- Show them the dialogue CUs - Work in pairs and put the dialogue in correct order - After they are finished give them the answer key and make a whole class feedback to clarfy meaning and pronunciation
- Tell students to work in pairs and memorise the dialogue (disappearing dialogue) - Instructions "Read the dialogue line by line in pairs one student is A and one students is B" "When you read and learn the first line, turn it over and pass to second line" "Go on like this until the end" - ICQs "Are we reading everyline or line by line" "Are we learning every line?" "What do we do when we learn the line?" - When they are finished tell them to act it
- Show them CUs and give instructions - "One of you will have a shop and others will come and do shpping" - Demonstrate it - Start the activiity