Special Days Lesson
Functional Language - To familiarize ss with language used for making suggestions in the context of buying a gift
Listening - To introduce the TL in the context of a birthday gift
Speaking - To practice making suggestions for a birthday gift
Procedure (43-53 minutes)
- Talk about birthdays and presents "Do you like birthdays?" "Are birthdays fun?" "When is your birthday?" "What does your husband/wife/daughter/son buy you for your birthday?" "What do you buy for them?" "What is the best birthday present?" - Tell ss that it is your birthday today - Tell them to work in groups and think of 3 good and 3 bad examples of birthday presents that they would give you. Ss write these on HO1. - Ask ICQs: "Are we working alone?" "How many presents will we think about" "Do we write them down or speak about them first?" "Whose birthday is it?" - Monitor the ss
- Give instruction and then ask ICQs "Now we will listen a dialogue" "I will give you these sheets, here is the dialogue" "But, there are missing words in the dialogue" "Write the missing words" "Are we listening a dialogue?" "Are we just listening or also writing something?" "What are we writing" "When are we writing? During or after? - Play the audio - Check in partners. - Give AK
- Regroup the ss - Elicit the word 'suggestion' "For example; it was mother's day last sunday and I didn't know what to buy for my mother. I asked my girlfriend's opinion. I said "Do you have any suggestion. What can I buy?" "In the dialog, what is Tanya's suggestion?" "What is Simon's suggestion?" - Give instruction about HO3 'Real World' and ask ICQs "Now, we will fill this chart" "Look at the dialogue sheets and fill this chart, Ok?" "Are we listening or writing?" "Where are the answers" -Give them AK and tell them to check in pairs? - Ask CCQs "What shall we eat? Am I asking for your idea? Is it a suggestion?" "How do we ask for suggestions?" "Which word do we use for making suggestions? Which word is important?" "Let's drink coffee! Am I asking for a suggestion or making a suggestion?" "Let's drink coffee? How do you answer?"
- Regroup the ss - Instruction "Listen to audio and repeat it!" - Drill it!
- Regroup ss - Instruction and ICQs "I have the dialogue of Tanya and Simon but I cut it like this." "For this activity you can't use your dialogues. Ok? Put your dialogue sheets away" "Work in pairs and put the dialogue in correct order" "When you are finished, tell me ok? I will come and tell you what to do next" "Are we using these? (Show them CUs) "Are we putting them in correct order?" "Are you using your dialogue sheets?" "Do you need to do anything when you are finished?" - Give the CUs and let them work on it
-Regroup ss - Tell ss to have a similar conversation and choose a nice present for sb in the class. - Tell them to draw this present on a sheet and give it to that person - Ask ICQs "Are we writing anything?" "Are we making suggestions for a birthday present?" "Are we asking for suggestions?" "Are we drawing a picture?" "Are we celebrating our friend's birthday?" -Monitor the ss
Tell ss to change partners and do the previous activity