At the weekend - Introduction to past simple grammar
Elementary TP - 7 level
To provide clarification of past simple grammar structure and hight frequency regular and irregular verbs in the context of "What İ did at the Weekend".
To provide controlled writing practice for accuracy concentrating on regular and irregular verbs.
To provide a freer writing practice for fluency in the past simple form.
To provide scan reading practice of past tense in the context of "At the weekend"
Procedure (45-45 minutes)
- Ask students if they recall what they learned in the past lesson - Past was/were... Caoimhe talked about her weekend a little. - What was the weather like on the weekend? -
- Hand students a short story about what I did at the weekend. - “Read the text. and answer these questions. Where did I shop? What kind of food did I eat on Saturday night? What was the name of the movie I watched?” Get answer WC - Ask students to read the text again and underline all the verbs. “Read again and underline the verbs” - Check students understanding of the word “verb”. Is window a verb? whats this (jump up and down? Jump - is this a verb) - Allow them time to read the text and underline verbs - Quickly check answers WC - When did this story happened? At the weekend... draw up time line on the board and get a student to come up and mark on the timeline when they think...WC can help.
- Hand students the same text with all of the verbs in bold and a table underneath. - Ask students if they can match the words in bold with the Infinitive verb forms provided. - Point to the words in bold - - Do the first one as an example on the WB in the table. ("did" - in the title.."to do" - infinitive form). - allow time - While students do this write up infinitive forms on the WB. (While they are reading – draw up table on the WB Regular Verbs – Infinitive form – Past Simple form Irregular verbs – Infinitive form – Past simple form.) - tell students to check answers with their friends. - Get attention back to me and Point to the first infinitive verb on the table, get students to call out the answers and write them in the table on the WB - marking the endings of regular verbs in a different colour.
- write example sentence on the WB - I visited friends. Elicit from students how do we form the Past simple. - Write up how to structure the past simple tense - İ.e. [subject+past simple verb(+object)] - Point out that it is the same structure for all subjects (i.e. She, he, they, you, I, we, you (plural), Murat, Elif ect.) - elicit some examples on the WB under the heading - “At the Weekend” - – She went to the football. - He ate cake. - We listened to music. - They drank Rakı. - Elif watched a movie. - She liked it.
- Ask students what they notice about regular and irregular verbs - Point to regular and irregular verbs and ask “How are they different?” - Elicit that regular verbs end in “-ed” - try to elicit from students how to form the past simple of regular verbs ("what if they end in e - point to like. What if they end in "y" - point to play - "what about study?" - Clarify how to form past simple with regular verbs ending in “-e” and “-y” using “like”, “play” and “study” as examples. - write "stop" on the board - ask if they know how to spell the past simple - clarify that if a verb ends in consonant+vowel+consonant - double the last consonant - stopped. - Point to the irregular verbs - what are the rules here? - Tell them that unfortunately you just have to learn the irregular verbs – “no rules :(” - Write More Verbs as a heading on the WB - try to get a few more verbs that students want to learn. - ask after each one if they know what the past form is... is it regular or irregular... help them form the past simple form and add it to the table.
incorporate this into eliciting more verbs.... Try to elicit from students if they are regular or irregular... and put them on the table Fly take dance fall sleep swim read
- Give students the second story about “what I wanted to do on the weekend”. - ask students to read the text quickly and answer these questions. “Where is my friend from? What places did we go in Turkey?” - Allow 2 mins to read. - tell students to fill the gaps with past simple verbs. If they don't know the past form they can look on the list hand this out later - Past SIMPLE- hand students an irregular verb list. - monitor students. - Project story onto the WB – ask early finishers and students to come and fill the gaps on the WB. - Point out pronounciation of read and read. Or other pronounciation problems at this stage. - Review answers WC
- Think about a weekend you have had in the past.... "Where did you go? What did you do? Who did you go with? What did you eat or drink? Who did you meet? - Tell students that I now want you to write a paragraph about a weekend you have had. - you can use my stories for examples. Give students 8-10 mins Write the prompts Where? What did you do? Who with? on the WB. - monitor and observe and correct errors. Any common errors can be corrected on the WB WC - Ask students to speak to their partner about what they wrote.