To provide review, clarification and practice of Simple past, Past continiuous, Past perfect in the context of Family anecdotes
To provide process writing practice of a story telling in the context of Boehmer Family
Procedure (30-45 minutes)
-The Ss will be asked to give the T a brief summary of who Boehmer family is and why they are famous. whole class feedback
- The Ss will be asked to read a paragraph taken from the radio program they listened to, and try to name the tenses in pairs. Whole class feedback
-The students will be asked to match the tenses with the appropriate definitions in pairs. whole class feedback
- Choosing some sentences taken from the text “He had spent the first few weeks sitting in his motel room, when one day, While he was feeling bored; he decided to take up a new hobby “ The T will ask some CCQs (as a task) the answer of which the Ss should guess : 1. Did both (feeling bored and making a decision) happen at the same time? Yes 2. Which one (feeling bored or making a decision) was longer? Feeling bored 3. Which action (feeling bored or making a decision) started first? We don’t know 4. Which action (feeling bored or making a decision) ended first? We don’t know 5. Did both (spending days and making a decision) happen at the same time? No 6. Which (spending days or making a decision) happened first? Spending some days at the motel 7. Had he spent long time before he decided to take up a new hobby? No
- The Ss will be given a matching exercise, to match the sentences and the missing parts of the time-line; which will be done in pairs. whole class feedback.
- The Ss will do a fill-in-the blank activity which is about a family and their children. -The T will ask them to look for clues for each answer they will give. - They will have a pair-check. - The T will nominate Ss to give the feedback and have some elaborations and clarifications.
- The Ss will complete the sentences by using the appropriate tense. - They will have a pair check. - whole class feedback
- In pairs the Ss will write the life story of Larry Boehmer from his son's point of view, they will use the TL. -The T will ask some questions to help them: "why/how did Larry start juggling?" "why did his children become interested in juggling?" - Peer-correction will be done. - "if time" : a pair will read their story to the class.