TP8 Second conditional
To provide clarification and practice of second conditional in the context of living with family and imaginary situations
To provide scan and detailed reading practice using a text about living with parents in the context of imaginary situations
Procedure (45-59 minutes)
Show the Ss the pictures of two houses. - Ask Ss: Which of the two houses would you prefer to live in? Why? Give them a minute to think. - Elicit some of the answers.
- Ss have a look at the article very quickly. - How many of the people would like to leave home? - Give Ss 3 mins. - Ss peer check their ideas. - Elicit the number and the names of the people who would like to leave. - Ss read in detail (4 mins) and answer the questions with who in part c. - Ss in pairs, do peer check. - Give them the answer key. - Ss in pairs. - Part D. Tell them to answer the questions with their partners. - Elicit the answers.
- Ask Ss to underline if sentences. 1 min. - Ask them if they know the name of the structure. - Second Conditional or Type 2 - write it on the board. - Elicit the first if sentence and write it on the board (Language analysis) If I had the money, I would move out. If + Subject + verb (past form) + object Subj. + would + verb (base form) - Write If.... and elicit the form from Ss. Write the form on the board.
- Using the example sentence on the board, ask CCQs to clarify the meaning. (Ref. to Vivienne from text) - Will she have the money? (probably not) - Does she have enough money now? (No) - Is it likely that she will have the money soon? (No) - Is she moving out? (No) - Why? (she doesn’t have the money) - Elicit the answers. - When we say If I were a millionaire ....In this structure are we just imagining or is it a real situation? (imaginary) - Ask if they have any questions. Have Ss listen to pronunciation record and repeat the sentences to practice getting the rhythm right.(Display the sentences on WB)
- Ss in pairs will do the Controlled Practice part 1 and 2 - Give them 3 mins for exercise 1 and get them peer check. - Give them 5 minutes for exercise 2, get them peer check. - Show them the answer key - Give them some time to check their answers (Play backrgound music / Song from Beyonce "If I were a boy..." with second conditional lyrics)
- Ss in pairs will do the Semi-Controlled practice HO (Explain that they will do 1 solo and 2 pw) ICQ - Give them 4 mins for exercise 1 and have them start exercise 2 (monitor for misuse TL)
- Ss in pairs. - Demonstrate the activity. - Write ‘be a president' - Elicit how we can make it a second conditional? - If I were a president, I would stop the war. - Ss will do the same with their partners using the prompts given. They can produce more than one sentence for each prompt. - Monitor quietly. - Do not correct the Ss loudly, they might be embarrassed