TP7 (Almost there :) )
To provide specific information listening practice using a text about the most dangerous things in the context of driving a car
To provide detailed listening practice using a text about the most and the least dangerous things in the context of while driving a car
To provide fluency speaking practice in a debate in the context of driving
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
- Is driving dangerous in İstanbul? Why? (Elicit some answers) - Show Ss two pictures. - What are the drivers doing? (Elicit the answers, the man= driving, eating, checking sat-nav. The woman= driving, texting and putting on lipstick)
- Ss in pairs. - Tell them to look at the statements on HO1. - Ask if they/ someone they know do one of these things? (e.g. a friend or father or a neighbor) - With their partner, they will choose the most top 3 dangerous things while driving. They will write 1 for the most dangerous and then 2, 3. Give them (2 mins to decide) - Elicit their answers. (Just in case activity will be projected on WB if Ss has difficulty on understanding the meaning on some words)
- Ss will check their answers for the most dangerous thing. - Ss will listen to the first one minute of the listening and check if they have number 1 correct. - Ss will listen to the rest of the listening and number the statements. - 1 for the most important and 7 for the least important. - Ss Peer check. - Hand them the answer key.
- Ss in pairs, - They will take notes about the actions. Why are they dangerous? - Tell them not to panic, we can listen twice. They can share the statements with their partners. - Play the audio. - Ask Ss if they want to hear again. If they say 'yes' Play the audio twice, this time pausing after each reason. - Elicit the reasons.
- Give Ss the handouts with statements. - Ss will tick the idea they agree with and put a cross to the one they disagree. - (Tick= agree, x = disagree) They should think about the reasons too. Give them 3 mins. - Ss in groups of 3 or 4. - Form 2 groups and show them the useful language box. They will share their ideas with their group and give their reasons. - End the lesson, thank the Ss :)