Teaching Practise 4
To provide clarification and practice of past simple regular and irregular verb forms in the context of technological devices.
To provide accuracy and fluency speaking practise through games in the context of personal information.
Procedure (45 minutes)
1. Teacher greets students. 2. The T asks questions related to the previous lesson's context. "What is the name of the first laptop?" -GRID Compass "How much was it?" - $9,000 "Can you tell me the year?" -1979. "What about the first mobile phone?" "What year is that?"
1. The teacher writes on the board: use. 2. Teacher gives example using the present tense: "I often use a laptop." Then says "Yesterday I ....... a laptop." and asks students to give me the past form. The Teacher tries to elicit the past simple form of the verbs, using same technique. 3. "I go to school everyday." "Yesterday, I ....... to school." "I work in Besiktas." "I ...... in Besiktas in 2010" "I have a cat." "I ...... a cat in 1999."
1. The teacher does chesting, gives instructions and wants them to fold paper from the center. "Find the past forms of these verbs using the texts on page 34." "Fold the paper like this." 2. Teacher gives 3 minutes. Then plays the record only for the regular verb forms.
1. Teacher does drilling with colorful papers. Each color represents one sound. Pink for /id/, green for /d/ and blue for /t/. 2. Teacher give some examples. She says "want", then gives past form "wanted" and shows pink paper. Teacher does this for several times for other regular verb forms as well. 3. Then she asks students in the same way. By having done for all regular verbs of the exercise, Ss learn the difference in the pronunciation.
1. The teacher does chesting, and gives instruction. "Find the past forms of these verb using the article(from the previous lesson)" 2. Teacher gives 3 minutes. 3. Teacher plays the recording of the answers. 4. The teacher elicits students and check the answers.
1. The teacher divides Ss into groups. The teacher does chesting and gives the instruction: "Complete the text with past forms of the verbs." Then teacher gives the hand out. 2. Teacher gives 5 minutes. 3. If some of them finish earlier, one student from the group goes outside to do running dictation. They do this until they check their answers.
1. First activity is boardrace. The teacher divides class into three groups. The teacher says a verb and wants Ss to write the past forms on WB. The most correct answers will win the game. 2. Second activity is guessing game. The teacher gives an example, chooses one student and makes a guess. "I think you went shopping yesterday." Then asks "true or false?" The teacher gets them in pairs and do the activity.