Teaching Practice 4b
Upper Intermediate level
To provide Ss with practice at listening for gist and listening for detail (receptive skills). To engage Ss in the topic 'generation' and generate analytical thinking.
To provide clarification of the TL (generation, product) and review lexis used in the lesson.
Procedure (36-47 minutes)
Introduce by playing a short youtube music video of 'The Who- My Generation'. Ask Ss if they know who it is by and what it is called.
1) Pre-teach key vocab: generation, product, savvy: ‘Generation’ by reading the definition from the dictionary (to remind SS they can be a useful tool for clarification and point out the IPA spelling). Analyse the word on the board, eliciting the syllables (4) and getting the Ss to mark the stress. NB:This is a long word so concentrate on pronunciation and schwa sounds. Point out the opening song does not pronounce it quite as we would use it in everyday language. ‘ Product’ elicit the word through story-telling and mime: ‘ Yesterday I came home to find my brother in the kitchen... he was hot and sweating, he had flour in his hair. She was... ( elicit making a cake).When you make something you produce it. Verb or noun? (v). Other things you van make are computers ) point, mobile phones ( show), car ( draw on WB) What is the thing you creation (n). Product. (output,result, something that has been made). ‘Savvy’ – annicdoate – I am bad with technology. My dad is even worse. My niece is 8 and spends all day on the computer, can use my phone better than I can, etc .... she is technologically savvy, - french savoir.
1) Introduce the topic of the listening lesson with a quick word game (re-arranging a jumbled sentence). I will project this on the WB jumbled and then reveal the sentence ’Every child, every generation, is a product of their time’. 2) Ss work in pairs to discuss whether they agree with that statement, if so, think of examples why? (e.g. 1960's man on the moon). This is a challenging, but interesting topic and will provide prompting topics on an ideas handout (political,economical, historical events, science and technology). 3) Monitor the conversations to help and encourage the Ss and encourage use of L2. Ask pairs to share some of their examples to the class (FB).
1) Give clear instructions for the listening exercise. It will start with the statement ’Every child, every generation, is a product of the their time: 2 mins long and we will be listening once. Listen for gist. 2 x questions - written on the WB. a) 'what generation is being discussed? When were they born? b) What has shaped their generation according to the speaker? 2) Ask the Ss to move their chairs so they are sitting in 2 x semi circles to listen to the recording (the physical change reflecting a change in focus). 3) ICQ and give Ss time to write them down and digest if they want to. 4) Students listen once. 5) Ask Ss to compare notes within their smaller groups before FB to WG. Agree answers together for Q1. Discuss answers together for Q2, referring to the prompts on the handout and writing on the board other ideas. (NB: if they were unable to understand Generation Y, use a prepared grid of generation definitions to clarify - project to WG on WB.
1) Ss do 2nd listening exercise using the same audio piece (swap half of the group over to allow Ss to work with different people). 2) Demonstrate the task with the worksheet – they need to listen to the recording and write true or false by each statement. 3) Give Ss clear instructions: l listen twice. Handout worksheet and give the groups 1 minute to read the questions and ask each other if there is anything they don’t understand. 4) ICQ check. 5) Ss listen twice. 6) Ss FB by nominating someone in the class and asking them if the statement is true or false, reading it out first ( a good way to practise speaking skills and peer answer checking). Give clear instructions and demonstrate by modelling the first answer... ‘ Farshid, generally speaking this generation is fairly selfish, true or false? And then gesture Farshid to choose who he going to ask next. Elicit why 2,4,6 are false. Write 1-6 on the WB and mark answers on. Get Ss to return to horseshoe.
1) Hangman vocab game. Do one example on the board using vocab from the lesson. 2) Ss work in pairs to play hangman using vocab on the topic of generation 3) ICQ check