Copy of Foods
Beginner - A1 level
- To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about Food shops in London. - To develop the students' reading skills within the given context. -To check and clarify the meaning by asking them to apply the text into the HOs given..
To develop the writing skills of the Ss linking the context to real life by asking them to personalize their own preferences.
Procedure (30-40 minutes)
- T plays "Hangman" with Ss to get the word "Food Shops". - T then asks the Ss to name different food shop categories, and shop names that they go to and tries to elicit as many from the places that they actually go. (Fast-food restaurants, i.e. Mc Donalds,..; Sandwich cafes, i.e. Marmaris Bufe,..; Fruit- juice bars, i.e. Vitamin,...; candy shops, Cok Seker,...; supermarkets: Migros,...) - T calls Yusuf/Alinur and makes a demo dialogue with the S. - Then T pairs the Ss and asks them to tell each other which shops they go? When they go?...etc
- The T sticks some food pictures on the WB and elicits the previous knowledge on food lexis from the Ss. - The T then introduces 5 words to describe the food pictures: delicious, realistic, plastic, amazing, unusual. - The T demostrates how to pick the odd word on the WB making the first line of the HO eliciting that from the Ss. - The HO is distributed for the Ss to complete individually and T monitors the Ss. - The Children pair check after they are finished
- The T shows the HO to the Ss and demo what they will do after going through the text. Concept check by asking: . Are you working together? No. . Are you reading in a long time? No - When the Ss are finished the T sticks the answer key to the WB and wants the Ss to check their own answers with that.
- The T will ask the students to read the text again individually to find out which food shop is described demonstarting on the HO what they should do - The Ss will find out which food shop is described in the sentence and write down the name in the space provied. - Pairwork for checking after all the ss have completed the task.
- The T writes down her own preferances on the WB : . My favorite restaurant is Casita. . It's got mantı. . It hasn't got doner. . I can eat chocolate puding. . I can't eat fish. . There is some coffee and tea. - Giving the HO for writing, the T asks the Ss to write their own favorite restaurant and write their names under the work, when they are finished. - The T hands out the papers for the writing activity and will be monitoring to do some scaffolding to the Ss for clarification.. - After the Ss are finished ,T will ask them to stick their product on the WB. The finished ones go and check the other Ss' writings. - The T will ask some questions like: . Which restaurant would you like to go? . What has Ali's restaurant got? and the Ss will walk around and find the right answer from the production on the walls.