Unexpected travel situations
To provide detailed listening practice using a text about different options for deciding what to do in the context of travelling.
To provide clarification of talking about encountering unexpected situations in the context of travel.
Procedure (33-44 minutes)
- Show some pictures related to travelling and unexpected problems you might face while travelling, using a projector and try elicit from the students what they know. - Then pair them up and show the picture of Javier & Alice and ask them what are these two talking about. FB: Give them a little time to discuss then ask them questions related to the topic.
- Pair-up the Ss and tell them they need to read and answer the two questions of part A. - Then distribute the gist listening HO and play part A of the recording 2.21. - Ask them to discuss the answers with their pairs for FB and if required, play the recording for Part A once more, for their clarification. FB: If any issues then discuss by writing the answers on the W/B.
- Ask the students to work in pairs, and repeat the same instructions to clarify, before giving the Detailed listening HO. Also explain that they need to fold the HOs. - Distribute the HOs and ask them to solve the rest of the questions in pairs, of all the parts, therefore, part B-F on their HOs. -Then play the recording 2.21 from part B-F. -Once the recording stops, give the students a couple of minutes to finish their answers and verify it with their pairs. - Then ask them to unfold their HOs, to verify their answers from the answer key. FB: Discuss the answers with the pairs, if any confusions still persist, replay the recording for the relative part.
- Pair-up the Ss with a different person for this excercise. - Show them the gap-fill excercise on the projector and tell them that they need to fill in the gaps using the appropriate expressions in their correct form of verbs -Solve the first one together with the Ss. - Then ask them to finish the remaining excercise, working with their pairs and specify the time. FB: Discuss the gap-fills one by one by eliciting the answers from the pairs.
- Ask the Ss to work in pairs and think about a travel problem they have faced and think about what to say. Then distribute the HOs and ask them to write at least three questions, which they will ask the other Ss. - Then ask them all to stand up and talk to each other, telling about their problems and what they did to encounter it. Ask them they need to ask at least three different students and write on the HO. Specify the time and give them 5 minutes. FB: Discuss the answers they got by asking a few Ss.