Speaking lesson - News
Intermediate - B1 level
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a Debate in the context of News
To provide practice, clarification and review of News lexis in the context of News
Procedure (40-53 minutes)
* ask them what they remember from the previous lesson . * elicit the word "editor" and what he/she does . * give them instructions about the activity .
* elicit the new vocab . * drill and put them on the whiteboard . * elicit parts of speech , stress , spelling , etc . * tell them they will choose some stories for their newspaper . * put them in groups of 3 or 4 Ss .
* give them the HOs . * tell them to read the outlines and choose two of them , one for the main story and one for the secondary story . * Ss decide alone and then in their groups discuss and give reasons for their choice .
* tell them they need to agree on the cover stories . * tell them they they need to agree what kind of newspaper they are . * tell them to think about what kind of stories will be popular and make people want to buy their newspaper * elicit some ways of giving advice and expressing preferences from the previous lessons . * monitor and take notes for errors for delayed feedback .
* elicit what else they need for their front pages (headlines and pictures) * give them the pictures and tell them to choose related pictures and headlines . * tell them to choose a name for their newspaper and organize the photos . * give them blank pages and tell them to design their newspaper .
* ask them to choose a representative for their newspaper . * regroup the other students so they are split around the different newspapers . * ask the representative to explain their choice story to the other students . * tell the students to move around and visit different newspapers and learn about their front pages . * monitor and take notes of any error .