Copy of A Good Job, The Simple Present Tense
To provide clarification about The Simple Present Tense third person singular
To provide specific information about the pronunciation of " /s/, /z/, /ız/.
Procedure (49-35 minutes)
- ask the SS the question: " What is my job?" - Get the answer "You are a teacher". - go on with your family members' jobs. " my father is a/ an...., My moher is a/an....., my brother is a/an..." - Nominate a student and ask the questions: " Where are you from?, What is your father's/ mother's/ sister's/ brother's job? - Set them in pairs and continue the exercise.
- Monitor the SS and check the pronunciation.
-show the ss a PPT about most common jobs. They are shown some pictures about jobs quickly. - give the ss the jobs in the PPT on papers and extra job names that are not given before. They choose the jobs and stick them on the wall. - Ask some questions about the jobs the SS stick on the wall. " What is his/her job? What does .... do?"
- If there is any mistake about the jobs or pronunciation help them to correct themselves.
- Before playing the track write down some questions on the board." Where is Andrew from?What is his job? Where is Claudia from? What is her job? -Play the track 2.1 -The SS notes down the answers while listening. -Make sure that they catch some answers. - Set the SS in groups to check each other. - Monitor the SS
- Help the SS if they have problem with the questions and answers.
- Show the PPT about unknown vocabulary. - Pass out the copies of the texts. -Play the track 2.1 again. - The SS listens the track to underline all the verbs they hear and see in the text. - Elicit some verbs they underlined - Model and drill these verbs individually and chorally. - Ask the question: "What is the last letter of these verbs?" - give example first." for example the verb, comes. -c is the first letter and -s is the last letter. - Elicit the other verbs and last letters nominating some students. - Ask CCQ : " Is this text talking about past/ future/present? -Elicit some answers. - model and drill the verbs. - The SS write the verbs in the correct places individually.( Exercise 3) - Set the SS in pairs and check each other's answers - Play track 2.2 to give feedback.
-Monitor the SS. - Check their understanding about 3rd singular form of the verbs in the simple present tense. - Make modeling and drilling if they have problem with pronunciation.
- write down a Simple present tense sentence from the text on the board. " Andrew comes from New Zealand. Claudia teaches at a university." - Ask about the -s comes after the verb. - Elicit some answers. - ıntroduce the SS that these verbs are simple present tense third person singular. - Ask for more examples from the text.
- Help the SS with the grammar structure of the simple present tense. - give more examples.
- Give the SS some time to complete the sentences in exercise 4 individually. - Set them in pairs to check their answers. -Monitor the SS. - Get some of the students read the sentences aloud. - Play track 2.3 to listen and check the answers.
- Check the SS' pronunciation.
-Prepare the information about exercise 5 on a paper to stick on the wall. - pass out the papers in which an information chart about Andrew and Claudia. -Set the SS in pairs to fill tje chart in exercise. - The SS try to remember the information about Andrew and Claudia without looking back to the texts. - The SS fill up the chart and than give the answers. - Post the answers on the wall.
- Monitor the SS while they are working in pairs. - Help the SS to find the correct information in each gap in the chart.
- pass out some pieces of papers to students.( Some questions and answers about Andrew and Claudia) - some students have questions and the others have answers.(mixed order) - All the students come in front of the board and try to match correct questions with correct answers. - The SS who have the correct match will sit down. The exercise continues until the last pair sits down. - Monitor the SS. - Read the questions and correct answers.
- Monitor the SS. - Help them to find the correct answers ans questions.
- Set the SS in pairs and give them the charts. -Each partner has a different part of the chart. - The SS tries to ask some simple questions in simple present tense to fill the chart to the pairs. - Pairs fill the chart and check their answers. - T monitors the class.
- Monitor the SS using simple present tense. - Check the pronunciation of singular forms of the verbs.