Teaching Practice 3
Functional Language: To introduce/practice how to tell the time in the context of small conversation.
Procedure (45-58 minutes)
- T: numbers 5-55 on WB in random places. - PW: guess/discuss number's names - T: give 11 Ss the names and have them place them on the WB - WC reads names
- T leaves 20, 30, 40, 50 on the WB - Ss practice pronunciation (Syllabus Stress) Chorally and Indiv
- T places 4 clocks on WB - 4 Ss name the clocks 5 O'clock, half past 5, Quarter past 5, Quarter to 5 - Pronunciation of O'clock and Quarter - Drill pronunciation of words - Drill pronunciation of whole sentence "It's..."
- Instruction: GW of 4S, T calls 1group to arrange the words on WB - T shows handout and says to work in groups - ICQ: Indiv? or GW? - FB: one of each group puts one time in order on WB
- T writes [What is the time?] BUT waits for Ss to finish the Q. - T crosses is and writes [What's] - T writes [It is....] and Ss finish sentence - WC Pronunciation of sentence - Drill and Indiv
- Instr: "In pairs ask, What's the time" - Handout
- 3 pics on WB - T says "in Pairs talk about Who are they? where are they?" - Listen to Track - PW: "where are they?"
- T "Listen to the time, what's the time?" - PW: T "together, what's the time in each pic?" - FB: Play and pause after each conv. and wait for WC to say the time.
- Instr: T "Alone listen and write" showing handout - ICQ: "In pairs? or Alone?" "Talk? or Write?" - Ss listen to track - PW check answers - FB: three pairs read conversations
- T puts Nearly and About clocks on WB - in PW Ss talk about the pics - 4 Ss match clocks with their correct nearly/about name tag - T shows nearly/about charts and explains diff - T puts charts of Late - T "class is at half past ten" - T "It's..." waits for Ss to say "Quarter to eleven" - T "I'm late!"
- Instructions: T says "SA reads "It's nearly..." and SB writes a time, Then, switch roles" - ICQ: "SA writes? or reads?" - CCQ: Q."Nearly is before or after?" A.Before - PW - FB: Call Ss to write Answers on WB
- Instructions: "#1, AS reads BS reads. Then Switch. #1 twice #2 twice #3 twice" - ICQ: pointing to one S "Always A, A, A?", "#1 just once?" - PW: Ss practice dialog - T Stops them then says "Turn your paper. Dont read." - ICQ: "can you read?"
- Instructions: • call 1 S • T "Write a time" • T "What's the time?" • S tells the time • T "Each one write 5 times and ask whats the time, Answer with Quarter/ half/ nearly/ about" - ICQ: "3? 6?" "Can you show?", "7:45 = seven forty five? or Quarter to eight?"