Perfect Locations - so & such
Upper- intermediate, B2 level
To provide clarification, review and practice of the uses of so and such in the context of describing places, people and situations.
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of convincing their partners to visit a place they like using the TL.
Procedure (36-55 minutes)
- Give context bringing back to the class the reading they did before: Remind them about Sophie, the location scout. - Some ideas and questions: . Remind them about the last speaking activity. Would you like to work as a location scout? Why? Is it a cool job? What do you think about it? . I didn´t know the Star Wars movie was shot in Cappadocia. Did you know? . Do you have good national turkish movies? Where were they shot? - PW: Speaking practice: Let them talk about places in Turkey they like. Imagine that I am about to make a movie in Turkey and I haven't decided my locations yet. Which places would you suggest me? and why? Maybe because is so beautiful, or it has such a wonderful weather. Can you talk about that in pairs? Maybe you can think about places you have visited to talk about them. -Monitor discreetly so they can use their own resources as much as possible. -Get FB, by asking a about the places.
- Give instruction before HO: Solo: Tell the SS they will be given a paper, where they will find sentences taken from the previous text. They have to look at them and answer the questions. They have to work alone. - Give HO1 - First, monitor to check the mechanics of the task, by wandering around the tables. Then, monitor discreetly to check the content of the task itself without interrupting. -PW: Check answers in pairs - Get FB, and clarify if necessary.
- Give instruction before HO: Solo: Tell the SS they will be given a paper, but they will go back to the first handout, look at the sentences again and complete the pattern with the words in the box of the new paper (show them). Again, they have to work alone. - Give HO2 - First, monitor to check the mechanics of the task, by wandering around the tables. Then, monitor discreetly to check the content of the task itself without interrupting. -Take time to write some of the marker sentences in the WB to use in the next stage, -PW: Check answers in pairs - Get FB and clarify if necessary.
- Drill each one of the phrases in the WB (students should be able to pronounce these phrases intelligibly). - Clarify stress, connected speech and intonation.
- Grouping: Beach, Mountains, Jungle, Desert, Forest groups. - Give instruction before HO: GW: Tell the SS they will be given a paper, and with their groups they will have to fill the gaps using SO and SUCH. They have to do it as fast as possible. - Give HO3 - Monitor and be helpful if they need guidance. Take notes of mistakes in the use of the TL. - Write answers in WB. Let them check their answers and make clarifications if necessary.
- Give instruction before HO: GW: Tell the SS they will be given a paper, they have to rewrite the sentences using so… that /such… that, being careful not to change the meaning. - Give HO4 - Monitor closely and be helpful if they need guidance. Take notes of mistakes in the use of the TL. - Give them HO5 to check their answers. Clarify answers if necessary.
- Tell the SS to remember the places they talked about in the beginning of the class. They will mingle and find a partner to talk about those places that they like using "so and such" (it doesn´t have to be in Turkey). The goal is to talk and convince as many people as possible. So, don´t stay with one partner a lot of time, move around faster. - Give an example: I will go and talk about Machu Picchu: you have to go there! it's such a wonderful place. It's one of the seven wonders of the world. Of course it's so crowded, full of people all the time, but it's so worth it and so beautiful. You will love it. -Stand up and start mingling. - Circulate carefully. While monitor, correct if there is any misuse of the TL. Pick up some of them to write in the WB before the activity finishes.
Error correction of the TL. - The error correction will happen on the spot, while listening to their conversation. - If there are common mistakes with the target language, write them in the board and elicit from students the correct form by asking: What is wrong with these sentences?