Teaching Practice 8a - FILM AND TELEVISION
GRAMMAR: To provide students with clarification, review, and practice of the 'be' verb in the past tense to describe films and TV shows that they've enjoyed.
SPEAKING: To provide accuracy and fluency practice in which students can use 'was' and 'were' to describe film and TV programmes from the past.
Procedure (39-45 minutes)
- T plays audio track of Star Wars theme to elicit the name of the movie - T asks, "Do you like Star Wars?" to each S and guides them to answer "Yes, I do." or "No, I don't." - If S doesn't like Star Wars, T asks "What movie do you like?" and writes film title on the board - T points to 2-3 movies and says, "I like _____ and ______" and mimes with hand at chin level "...but I like Star Wars a lot!" and mimes with hand above her head. T elicits word "favourite" from Ss - T says "Star Wars is my favourite movie!" and elicits question, "What is your favourite movie?" Does choral and individual drilling. T writes "favourite" on the WB. - T asks Ss to stand and mingle, asking each other, "What is your favourite movie?"
- T holds up movie poster image and asks if Star Wars is an old movie or a new movie, then holds up The Martian and asks if it's old or new - T draws timeline on WB and sticks Star Wars on the far left and writes 1977; T asks Ss today's date and marks today with a dot, then sticks The Martian above the dot. * CCQs: Is the Martian in the cinema now? Is Star Wars in the cinema now? - T holds up poster of Guardians of the Galaxy and asks if it's in the cinema now. T makes a mark on the timeline between now and 1977 and writes 2014, then sticks up GOTG poster above it. - T hands out slips of paper to Ss with time markers (now, last night, yesterday, last Saturday, last week, last April, last year), then asks Ss to work in pairs to decide where the time markers go on the timeline. Ss use poster putty to stick slips of paper to the WB along the timeline. - T tries to elicit was/were from Ss for the following sentences: * The Martian is in the cinemas now. Last night was cold. Mohammad and Laurie were the teachers yesterday. The movie Guardians of the Galaxy was in the cinemas last year. - T holds up HO and instructs Ss to change the sentences from present tense to past tense using was or were, Ss check with partners when finished - T plays audio track 2.23 for students to check their answers - T elicits form for was/were Q & A and writes the form on the board (see grammar analysis)
- T asks "What year is it?" to elicit "Two thousand fifteen" - T has Ss look at dates written on HO and reviews the pronunciation by drilling - What year was Star Wars in the cinemas? 1977 - Was this in the 80s? Was this in the 70s? - T elicits "popular": Do many people like Star Wars? * Do many people like these TV shows? (T writes on the board) • Aşk-ı Memnu • Muhteşem Yüzyıl • Kuzey Güney • Leyla ile Mecnun - T passes out HO with popular movies, TV shows, actors, and singers from the different decades - T elicits: _____________________ was popular in the 1970s, 80s, etc. - T models Q & A: What was a popular TV show in the 70s? The Brady Bunch was. - "Were there many good Yeşilçam movies in the 1960s?" Yes, there were. - Ss practice in pairs, T gives FB
- T hands out slips of coloured paper (questions are on one colour, answers are on another colour) - T asks each S to read his/her question or answer aloud for the whole class to hear. T provides correction, as necessary. - Then T asks Ss to memorise what is on their slip of paper and collects it from them. - Ss must mingle with each other to match up the right answer and question. - T gets feedback from each pair and sticks Q & A slips of paper up on the board.
- T holds up HO and asks Ss to read and listen to the text while playing audio track 2.26 - T demos how partners need to ask each other the questions about the decade that they are a child of and what their favourite things were when they were young - T monitors as Ss interview one another - As FB, T asks each pair to describe their partner, using the prompts on the bottom of the HO