Teaching Practice 6a. Day and Night
Bignneres A1 level
To provide clarification, review and practice of language used for Telling time in the context of Day ands night activitie
To provide accuracy speaking practice. Through small conversations between them and other activitioes, Ss are able to produce the functional language. in the context of Day and night
Procedure (41-55 minutes)
* After Ss walk into the class and be seated, they are asked (what time is it?) with gestures like pointing to a wrest watch or the or the wall clock. * try to elicit "telling the time" from the students. *write the question on the board (what time is it?) the answer (it's 12:15/twelve fifteen) *
* provide a context to Ss - I think it's late. what time is it? - it's eight o'clock. - I am late, I must run. * Ask students what time is it around the class and let them answer (they can look at their watches). * Get students to ask and answer across the class in open pairs. *PW, Students ask and answer questions using the times in hand outs.
* Ask students is it morning or noon..? Try to elicit "am and pm" * Use a time line to clarify the meaning of "pm" "am" * use a big clock to place different times on it and with the time line on board ask students what time is it and they are given the chance to practice am &pm by answering lets say " it's one am".
* Do the mfp for the two abbreviations: - meaning is clarified through the day and night line; am= in the morning pm= in the evening - form: abbreviations - pronunciation: write on the board(am; el em/ pm; pi:em) - Drill 1or 2 times
* Ask students to work in pairs. * Students ask and answer questions with these times. * Students are handed the times. * Students are given 3-5 minutes to finish. *PW check for feedback.
* Students are asked to work in pairs. * Students are given instructions to complete the following sentences. * handouts are given to them ( on Monday I usually wake up at ..../I usually-sometimes-never watch TV late at night) *Students work in pairs( stand up) tell your partner about you. * change pairs and repeat the exercise.
* Students are asked to fill in activities in a diary sheet and then talk to each other about what happening in different times. * Tell a short story and then ask students to tell the times mentioned in the story.