To provide product writing practice of a story in the context of a newspaper article
To provide review and clarification of words they can use in the context of to writing a news story
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation to get ideas about news stories and newspapers.
Procedure (36-49 minutes)
- Have four names of Turkish newspapers with four headlines ready in the walls of the classroom and the topic of the lesson written in the WB. - Introduce the lesson by asking the SS to look at the newspaper headlines in the walls. Ask them to talk among each other about what they know about the stories. - Allow SS time to move around, and join the conversations while monitoring actively.
- Explain that I will give them a worksheet (1a) with questions related to news and newspapers. Tell the SS they are going to read those questions for themselves and to think about their own answers. Then, they will add two more questions they would like to ask a partner to know more about their ideas about newspapers and news. -ICQ's: Are you going to read alone? Yes. Will you think about your own answers? Yes. How many extra questions do you have to write? Two. - Hand out 1a Worksheet. - When they finish with the task, ask them to choose 4 questions to ask their partners, included their own. They will have to decide quickly.
-Open pairs- Mingling: Tell the SS they will work in pairs and they are going to ask and answer the questions to each other. They have to change the partner after they finish with the questions they have. Clarify they don´t need to stay too much time with one person, the goal is to talk to as many people as possible to get more ideas. For this, they will circulate in the room, always working in pairs but mingling to look for another. - ICQ´s: Are you going to work in pairs? Yes. Will you try to talk to different people? Yes. - First, monitor to check the mechanics of the task, by wandering around the room and listening briefly to every group. Then, monitor discreetly to check the content of the task itself without interrupting. -WCFB: Check their ideas, to know what they came up with, which will be useful for coming activities.
- Tell the SS I will give them a paper with a few words they need to know because later they will use them to write a story. Now, they have a few seconds to write in the first box the words they know, in the second box with the words they are not sure about, and in the third box the words they don´t know. They have to do this alone at first. - Give the SS 2a Worksheet. Monitors to check answers. - Ask them to check in pairs to find out the ones they don´t know. If they need to, they can check in groups. If they still have difficulties with one of them ( probably "a flock of birds"), nominate a student to explain the meaning to the rest. - Make corrections of pronunciation.
- Remind them that, in groups, they have to write a news story using the words mentioned before. Following a few instructions. . The news story must contain all those words. . They can add as many other words as they like . They can change the form of the words (plural, past form) . The words can appear in any order . They can repeat the same word - GW: Tell them to nominate one of them as the secretary of the gruoup. Think toghether how they can use the words and write a news story and a headline. - Give them 3a Worksheet, with the instructions and the words. - Monitor discreetly so they can use their own resources as much as possible. - When they finish, they will stick their stories in the walls, walk around and read each other’s. Ask them to look for the best story.
- While monitoring and after reading their stories, take notes of some errors that might need to be corrected in this stage.