TP 3 Unit 5
Upper Intermediate level
Listening & Speaking, both for gist and detail.
Vocabulary: Learning new words to be used in speaking practice within context of the lesson.
Procedure (27-35 minutes)
1) T will share personal narrative that defines (but does not say aloud) SOME of the vocabulary but not all. It will serve to provide a personalized framework to help the students conceptualize the direction of the lesson. 2) T will explain that class will be discussing names today. Their importance and how we go about choosing and taking them.
1) After sharing, T will ask Ss to read Vocabulary Ex.1 - alone - which will be provided on a handout in large text. One minute to read. 2) After reading the sentences, T will ask Ss to briefly discuss with their neighbor the meaning of the words in bold. One minute to read. 3) After one minute, put Ss into two or three groups (depending on class attendance that day) and explain instructions for matching activity (Handout Matching Activity) and check for understanding ("What are you going to do?") Give 2-3 minutes. 4) While Ss complete matching activity, T will reveal already written vocabulary on the board. 5) Have students sit. T-WC feedback about matching exercise which will include choral drilling.
1) Explain to Ss that they will listen to the audio and say which of the names in Ex. 1 the speakers are talking about. 2) T-briefly go over answers verbally
1) Explain to Ss that they will listen to the audio again and match the five speakers with the right topic. Students will utilize bottom portion of Ex. 1 activity. 2) T-briefly go over answers.
1) T will write two questions on the WB for Ss to answer in pairs. They will have several minutes to discuss and then T will focus attention up front for T-WC feedback.First question from page 56, the other - Teacher's own) A) Do you have a nickname? When did you get it? Where does it come from? B) Men and women: Do you think women should have to change their last name when they get married? Why or why not?