Travel lesson, Future Forms
To provide clarification and practice of future foms in the context of travel
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a coversation in the context of travel
Procedure (34-49 minutes)
1) Talk about this week being your last week in Istanbul but you are going to travel to Turkey again next year. 2) Ask students about the best city to visit for the next time and try to elicit some answers.
1) Put tow sentences representing target language on the board, and draw students' attention to the structure. 2) CCQ > Is it about past, present or future? 3) What is the difference between 'will' and 'to be going to'? ( ask to discuss in groups) 4) Monitoring 5) WC feedback 6) CCQ > planned or not planned?
1) Give instructions for the 'planned' handout>> model the first one>> give them the handout. ( in groups ) 2) Ask them to write the answers on the board ( don't wait for them to finish ) 3) Clarify the meaning, form and pronunciation ( don't forget to drill the contracted form of 'will')
1) Give instructions for the gap-fill>>> give the the handout ( monitoring, error correction) 2) Ask them to check their answers in pairs. 3) Give them the anwer key.
1) Elicit the negative and question forms of 'will' and 'to be going to'. 2) Clarify the correct structure >>> drill the correct pronunciation if needed.
The Carousel: 1) apple, banana 2) apples, stand up and make a small circle 3) model as a banana ( Are you going to stay in a hotel? >>> I think I will stay in a b&b ) 4) bananas, stand up and make a big circle 5) Give them the handout. 6) bananas, one step to the left ( monitoring, error correction)
1) Put students into new groups. 2) Ask them to think about their next holiday. 3) They are going to use the target language to talk about the same subject in groups. ( monitoring, error correction sentences on the board )