Teaching Practice 7 :Past Simple Questions and short answers (Regular Verbs)
To provide clarification, review and practice of Past simple questions and short answers
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a asking questions and short answers in the context of places
Procedure (38-48 minutes)
1. T will maintain context from previous lesson , especially that the students final activity in the previous lesson would be talking about places they visited in Istanbul . T will say that she visited Ortakoy in Bi ram and walked by the seaside . 2. T will give SS guided discovery handout folded and asks them to solve exercise A only in pairs .
1. T writes the following question on the board : " Where / walk / did / I? _____________ , and asks SS to help her in putting the words to make a correct question . For example by asking Should I put where first ? I first ? 2. T holds the Gap fill handout and folds it into two halves . T uses gestures to explain that we can't unfold the paper . SS solve exercise B in pairs . 3. Once they finish SS unfold the other half and cross check their answers from answer key . 4. Finally , SS solve exercise C of the guided discovery individually and check their answers in pairs . SS write their answers on the board , T gives WCFB , focusing only on clarification of problematic areas . .
1. T drills pronunciation of "Where did you go ? focusing on getting SS to say dʒə/ . T drills pronunciation using various ways once by saying it in a low voice , another time in a high voice . 2.T uses hand gestures as well to indicate slow or long word pronunciation as in where ,compared to did you go as in a fast together tone then asks different SS to say it again . For CCQs , T asks students do we say it quickly or slowly . 3.T asks Random SS to say the question again .
1. T writes the following sentence on the board and again SS to help her in making a question . " What / watch ? __________ . 2. T gives SS handout folded and asks them to solve the questions alone . SS check their answers in pairs . 3. T checks answers as a WCFB .
1. T asks one of the students to join her and role plays with them the first question : What did you cook ? T answers kofte and points at kofte written in Column A . T now gestures to SS to ask her and writes his answer in column B . 2. For ICQ T asks SS are we going to work in pairs ? Are we writing short words ? Big sentences ? 3. T elicit some of the SS answers as task feedback and does some oral error feedback correction as a WCFB