Wh- Questions in Past Simple
To revise asking questions in Past Simple and to enable Ss to ask Wh- Questions in Past Simple
To provide listening for specific information in the context of holiday
To provide Ss with the opportunity of speaking for accuracy
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
- Write some information about yourself on the board. - Give examples first to clarify what they are going to do. - Ask them to ask questions to you by looking at the answers written on the board. - Write the question words under them. - Then, draw shapes for the question words.
- They need to ask questions. - Draw conversation bubbles and some related drawings and try to make them ask questions - They ask questions and answer the questions by showing the pictures. - Write the questions in the bubbles. - After getting the questions, model first and then drill (also show where the stress is)
- Finish the story and write the questions on the board to elicit the form. - Elicit the form of questions and answers. - Model how it is pronunced (What did you....?) - Use finger highlighting to show errors, contractions and to guide them to form correct sentences
- Before they listen to a person talking his trip to London, give them the answers and questions. It must be mixed. - They work in pairs to match the questions with the answers. - Monitor them and after they have finished, they listen to it and they check their answers. - Check if they did it correct or not.
- It's an information gap activity. Give each pair a copy of worksheet - Tell them they need to ask and answer the questions in order to complete the table. - Monitor them and ask questions related to the pictures they have.
- Ss ask ans answer questions to each other about their last holiday/ a place they visited. - Monitor them while they're doing the activity.
- Observe the Ss carefully while they are doing the activites. - If seen a common mistake they make, try to correct it by writing on the board and asking questions. Then, show them the correct form.