Tuğba Kaya, Grammar-Speaking
Intermediate, B1 level
To practice the meaning, form and pronunciation of passive voice in the context of TV series.
To practice speaking for fluency through a role-play where a manager and a secretary talk about if the given orders were performed.
Procedure (45 minutes)
* The T asks the ss about the topic of the texts they've read in the previous lesson. The ss read the first text again quickly on their own. T-SS S
• The T asks the ss to examine one sample sentence taken from the text and answer concept checking questions about it on PPT. Then the ss read other two sample sentences taken from the text and answer some concept checking questions about them on the worksheet on their own. The T gives class feedback after the ss finish the task. By doing so, the T elicits the meaning of passive voice in present simple, past simple and present perfect tense. PPT Handouts T-SS S
• The T asks the ss to examine the sample sentences on the board and decide on which point the action takes place on the timeline. The T elicits the time represented in the sentences through a timeline. T-SS
• The T asks the ss to tell the formula for each sentence on the board and the T writes the formulas under the sentences. Thus, the T elicits the structure. Then the ss are given worksheets and asked to complete the formulas for positive sentences, negative sentences, yes/no questions and wh-questions in present simple, past simple and present perfect tense on their own. The T gives written feedback. Handouts T-SS S
• The T reads the first sentence on the board out and asks the ss which word is stronger. Thus, the T elicits the sentence stress. Then the T models the pronunciation of the two other sentences and drills them. T-SS
• The ss rewrite the active sentences to make passive sentences. Ss work on their own and then check their answers with their partners. The T gives class feedback. Handouts S PW T-SS
• The ss choose active or passive verb form in a text to complete the sentences. They work on their own and then check their answers with their partners. The T gives class feedback. Handouts S PW T-SS
* The ss perform a role-play. They're given a situation where a manager goes on holiday and gives his secretary some orders to be performed until he returns from holiday. When the manager returns back, s/he asks if the orders were performed. After the role-play, the teacher gives feedback on content and form. PW T-SS