Tuğba Kaya, Listening-Speaking
Pre-Intermediate, A2-B1 level
To practise listening in the context of a famous painting.
To practise speaking.
Procedure (28-45 minutes)
* T talks about visiting galleries as a free time activity. T asks "What can you see in the galleries?" and elicits the word "painting". T asks "Who paints the paintings?" and elicits the word "artist". T asks ss if they know any famous paintings. T shows images of two famous paintings and elicits the names of them and the artists painting them. PPT T-SS * T asks the name of the painting “Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy”. After telling the name and the artist of it, T distributes the pictures of the painting and asks if ss know the story behind this painting to create interest. PPT T-SS
* T shows the painting on PPT and asks how many people they see in the painting. T asks if they’re sister/brother or wife/husband and elicits the answer "wife/husband". T asks "if they are married, they are ...........?" and elicits the word “couple”.T drills the word if necessary and writes it on the board. PPT T-SS * T says “if the wife is going to have a baby soon, she is ……………………..” and elicits the word “pregnant”. T drills the word if necessary and writes it on the board. T-SS
* T tells they will listen to the story behind this painting and asks ss to tick the things they hear on the hanouts. T distributes the handouts. Hnadouts S * Ss listen for once and check their answers in pairs. Then ss listen again. T gives feedback. PW
* T tells they will listen again and write True or False for the sentences on the handouts. T distributes the handouts. Ss read the sentences first. Then they start listening. Handouts S * After listening for once, ss check answers in pairs. Then they listen again. T gives feedback. If ss can't find the right answer, T pauses the relevant part or reads the relevant sentence out to give guidance. PW
* T shows the painting on PPT and says "Now let's talk about the picture more. What can you see in the painting?" T elicits some answers and writes several sample sentences on the board for ss to model in the next task. If ss can't give answers, T categorizes the items in the painting as people, animals, things on the board. T-SS * (If there is enough time and ss need guidance to talk about the painting, ss work in pairs and do a gap-filling activity with prepositions to complete the sentences about the painting. If there's no extra time, but ss still need help, T shows the places the prepositions refer through a chair S) * T says "Now you will have 2 other pictures. Work in pair. I’ll give one picture to everybody. Don’t show your picture to your partner. The pictures are different. You will ask questions and find the differences between 2 pictures.” To clarify the task, T demonstrates the procedure by asking sample questions like “Is there a woman in your picture? What’s she doing?”. Before the task, T checks instructions because it may be first time for ss to do a spot-the-difference task. T gives thinking time of 2 minutes about what to ask. During the task, if they need help, T categorizes the items in the painting as people, animals, things on the board. During the task, T gives feedback on content by monitoring. After the task, T gives feedback on form by eliciting one difference from each pair. Handouts PW