Reading for gist and detailed information
To make them improve their contextual guessing ability
To skim the text to answer some gist questions
To read the text for some detailed questions
Procedure (27-50 minutes)
1. Draw a hang-man on the board and encourage the Ss to find the to words: Easy English 2. Ask them, " Do you think that learning English is easy?" Tell them to do it in pairs and some of them will tell the class.
1. Ask them, " Is your language easier or more difficult than English? Think abut vocabulary, spelling, pronunciation and grammar. Do it in your group." Give this question on a slip of paper so that they can have a look at it when they like. 2. Monitor them. Ask the groups to give their ideas. 3. Change the members of each group now. 4. Ask them, " Do you know any ways to make learning English easier?" You can make some examples like " English while sleeping...." 5. Monitor and tell them to take their seats. 6. One person from each group will talk about what they talked about if necessary.
1. Give them the handout. 2.Tell them to read the questions and skim the article and answer them. 3. Ask them CCQs to make sure they got what they were going to do." Now Are you going to understand every word? No Are you going to read it quickly and answer the question? Yes" 4. Tell them to check their answers in pairs. 5. Put the answer key on the board and tell them to check their answers with it.
1.Tell them to read the questions. 2. Tell them to scan the text and answer the detailed questions CCQs: " Now are you going t read the text first? No, Are you going to read the questions first and then find the answers in the text? Yes" 3. Tell them to check their answers in pairs. 4. Tell them to mingle in front of the board holding their handouts 5. Give them clear instructions. Tell them, "You ask a question and throw the ball to one person to answer. The next person will ask the next question and throw the ball to the next person to answer." The teacher will help if there is something wrong with it. 6. They take their seats. 7. The teacher corrects them at the end if they have made any errors while answering the questions.
1. Divide the class into 3 or 4 groups (it depends on how many newcomers we have) 2. Give each group some slips of paper reading some words from the text. 3. Stick your slips of paper on the board that read the definition of the words. Stick one slip of paper at a time and encourage them to discuss it in groups and find the word and sick it on the board. ( The number of the paragraph is written on the paper reading the definition of the word.) 4. Tell the students to come to the board and write a sentence for each word. ( the sentence of the book is fine.)(They do it in pairs.) 5. Review the words and their stress pattern and drill them.
1. Give them some slips of paper reading some questions on them like " What do you think about Internetish language? like tnx, tnq, cu, Gr8,lol,2day,IMO, so b gr8 2 c u 2nt b4 I go to wrk, Ask them: Do you agree that it is a good idea to use them? Do you use this kind of language in Turkish? How do you feel about it? 2. Put them in groups to talk about it. 3. Monitor them to take a note of the errors they may make. 4. Now change the members of the groups and tell them to talk about what they talked with their friends. 5. Monitor them. 6. Tell them to take their seats. To end the lesson with a funny activity, you can do this activity which take s about 3 minutes. 7. Divide the class into two. 8. Tell them to come to the board. 9. Divide the board into two. 10. Write group A, and group B 11. Give a marker to each group. 12. Show them a piece of paper reading Internetish or sms language and tell them to decide in groups what it is. 13. The group who has answered many of them wins the game. They may find it interesting to learn some sms language, for their friends may use them and they also want to learn some.