Grammar lesson - Present Perfect Tense
To review Present Perfect Tense and introduce the negative and interrogative forms in the context of travelling.
To provide fluency speaking practice in an interview - Find Someone Who - in the context of travelling.
Procedure (34-42 minutes)
- Show Ss some pictures of different activities, give them 2 min to read individually and match these pictures with the headings. Monitor aside. - Ask Ss to share their answers in pairs in 1 min, then the whole calss confirm the answers together. - Ask Ss "Have you ever... + any activity?" to lead in the target language of this lesson.
- Write 3 new words on the board to pre-teach the possible new words - weird, elderly, old-fashioned. - Hand out the text. Ask Ss to read the questions before reading the text (skim the text) and answer the questions individually. - Ask them to share the answers with a different partner - peer checking. - Whole class feedback.
- Write the sentence 'I've just come back from Europe.' (from the text) on the board. Ask Ss some concept checking Qs to introduce Present Perfect Tense.
- Ask Ss to read the grammar table and elicit them to talk about the rule of this grammar point (negative & interrogative) - Ask Ss to do exercise (part 5) individually in 3 min then peer checking for 1-2 min. Post the answer key on the walls and ask Ss to check the answers by themselves.
- Give Ss WS3 and demostrate the task of the following activity - Find Someone Who - Ask the whole class to mingle and interview their classmates in 5 min. Monitor aside and note down Ss mistakes for feedback. - Ask the whole class to report the information they collect. Invite/ encourage some shy Ss to report first. - Write out some common mistakes Ss make during the mingle activity for feedback. - Assign homework for further practice.