Weather Vocabulary Lesson
Elementary A1 level
To teach, review, and practice of weather lexis in the context of weather around the world
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of weather around the world
To provide reading for gist practice using a text about Ohio's climate in the context of weather
Procedure (40-48 minutes)
- Project a map of the Europe on the projector with weather symbols of today's forecast. - Nominate Ss about the weather in the different cities, eliciting vocabulary they already know.
- Tell Ss: We are going to look at weather from my home, Ohio. Read the text and decide if Ohio has: a) good weather b) sometimes good weather, sometimes bad weather c) bad weather - Write the options on the w/b. - Distribute HO1, Text with cline on the bottom folded over to each S. - Ss read the text for 3 minutes. - Ss check their answer in pairs for 1 minute. - Nominate Ss to respond to the question.
- Ask Ss to turn over their folded paper and complete the cline. Model for Ss. - Ss complete the cline in pairs for 2 minutes. - Projector image of completed cline for Ss to check their work. Address any meaning issues in WC FB. - Distribute HO2, Clarification to each pair. - Ss work in pairs to answer the questions for 4 minutes. - Monitor closely to help Ss with any blocking words in the text. - Post answer keys on the wall. Write TL on the w/b. - Ss check their answers. - Review CCQs for any difficult vocabulary. Have images from flashcards on hand to quickly show Ss who may not understand. - Drill Pronunciation of vocabulary within the context. Elicit and mark word stress on w/b. - Elicit adjective and/or verb form for storm, hail, sleet and highlight on the w/b.
- Arrange Ss in new pair groupings. - Distribute HO3, Practice to each pair. - Ss fill in the gaps in pairs for 5 minutes. - Monitor and assist with any blocking language. - Post answer keys on the wall. - Ss check their answers. - Review any problematic gap-fills in WC if necessary.
- Arrange Ss in new pairs. - Show Ss the stack of flashcards with pictures and the stack with words. Place two stacks on a desk. - Model the activity, pulling from the top of each stack. Ask the class if the picture and the word match. Continue until a match is pulled. Put the matched cards aside and continue. - Distribute HO4, Flashcards to each pair. - Check instructions with ICQs. - Ss review vocabulary in pairs for 10 minutes.
- Arrange Ss in pairs with at least one smart phone to each pair. - Ss use smart phones to look up weather in major cities around the world. - Assign each pair a city (Bangkok, Beijing, Buenos Aires, Sydney, Los Angeles). - Time permitting, Ss report the weather of each city to the whole class.