Film Review Writing Lesson
Elementary A1 level
To provide product writing practice of a film review in the context of favorite films
To provide clarification of film description lexis in the context of a film review
Procedure (37-47 minutes)
- Ss remind T of their favorite film. - Tell Ss: Today, we'll look at film reviews.
- Distribute HO1, Paragraph Cut-outs to each pair. - Ss put the film review cut-outs in the correct order for 2 minutes. - Instruct Ss to arrange ordered film review into four paragraphs. - Ss paragraph the film review in the same pairs for one minute. - Pull up correct paragraphed film review on the projector for student-centered FB. - Ss compare and make necessary corrections.
- Ss talk in pairs about what information is in each paragraph (for example, character, plot, etc.) for 2 minutes. - Run WC FB using projector to highlight the content of the film review. Elicit S responses.
- Ss complete HO2, Language in pairs. - Post answer keys on the walls. Monitor for problems with the language. - Ss check answers on answer keys for correct answers. - Review CCQs and Extension for necessary language. - Drill Pronunciation.
- Distribute HO3, Brainstorming. - Monitor closely and help feed Ss necessary language.
- Ss use their brainstorming notes to write 30-40 word film reviews. - Distribute HO4, Lined Paper. - Monitor Ss and help feed any necessary language.
- Shuffle S papers and distribute them to Ss. - Ss read a fim review from a classmate. - Ss respond whether they would like watch the film described in the review.