World Cinema Lesson
To provide gist, specific information and detailed listening practice using a text about world film industries in the context of cinema
To provide clarification of film lexis in the context of text on world film industries
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of Turkish cinema
Procedure (35-48 minutes)
- Display Visual 1 on the projector. - Ask Ss if they prefer Hollywood movies or Turkish movies. - Prompt Ss with example questions: Which films are better? More interesting? More enjoyable to watch? Elicit other adjectives for comparison. Write adjectives on the w/b for reference. - Ss talk about their answer in pairs for two minutes.
- Nominate Ss to report out for each pair. - Ss answer about which films they prefer.
- Tell Ss: We will listen to a text about world films, but first let's look at some vocabulary. - Distribute HO1, Flashcards and HO2, Matching Sheets. - Do ''Hollywood'' example together as a class, writing Hollywood on the w/b and placing appropriate image alongside. - Ss work in pairs for 2 minutes. Ss match pictures to the vocbulary, pasting them on matching sheet.
- Write all words on w/b. - Elicit correct matches from Ss. - Ask CCQs about the vocabulary (see Language Analysis for CCQs) one by one. - Model and drill pronunciation before proceeding to the next word. - Elicit stress from the Ss and mark on the w/b.
- Write three titles on the w/b a)Hollywood at the Top of World Cinema b)Chinese Cinema is Taking Over c)World Cinema... Not Only Hollywood - Do CCQs with the language in the titles (''at the Top'' - Does it mean the best or the worst; ''taking over'' - Does it mean becoming more popular or less popular?; ''not only'' Does it mean there are other good cinemas? ) - Write in relevant synoymns from CCQs above the titles in a different color. - Play Listening 2.17.
- Ss talk about their answers in pairs.
- Nominate one pair with the correct answer to report out. Ask why this title is the best choice. - Highlight the correct title on the w/b.
- Distribute HO3, Pie chart to each S. - Ss guess numbers in chart in pairs. - Play 2.18. Ss listen for numbers in the text.
- Ss check numbers in pairs. Play 2.18 a second time. - While text is playing, begin to post True/False questions (HO5, True/False) around the room.
- Nominate Ss to give correct numbers. - Write the numbers on the w/b.
- Distribute copy of HO4, Reading to each S. - Rearrange Ss in new pairs. - Ss stand up with their partner. - Place one pair at each question. - Ss complete True/False Questions around the room in pairs for 5 minutes. - When Ss finish, give each pair a copy of HO5, True/False to check their answers.
- Arrange Ss in small groups. - Ss discuss the questions on HO6, Discussion Questions. - If there is time remaining, point out good language used in the discussions and prompt any necessary corrections or reformulations.