English Unlimited Int U7.1
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text of the 5-minute interview with the Cuban ballet dancer Carlos Acosta in the context of personal qualities
To provide fluency speaking practice in a interview
To provide clarification and practice of personal qualities in the context of being successful in any job
Procedure (38-46 minutes)
- Teacher gives out the picture of Carlos Acosto (folded HO1, only picture has to be seen). - T asks Ss to guess about him: What do you know about him? - Ss try to guess his name, age, job, and other in pairs. - WC FB. Write their predictions on the WB.
- Pre-teach the words 'principal' and 'numerous'. - Show Ss HO1 and tell that this is an interview with the famous person. Show them introduction and interview on the HO1. - Tell them to unfold HO1 and read only introduction in 30 sec to check your predictions about him. (ISQs) - Peerchecking - WC FB. Tick the ones they guessed on the WB
- Tell Ss they are going to learn more about him and read the interview. Tell them there are 8 questions and Carlos's answers. - Write the question What kind of person is he? - Tell them to look at #1 in the HO1, and read the interview and write the answer in ex 1. - Peerchecking. - WC FB.
- Tell Ss to look at #2 in the HO1. - Read again and find 4 facts about him and 2 of his opinions individually. - Peerchecking - While they read, draw 2 columns and elicit the answers from them
- Tell Ss to imagine tat they are a well-known person in Istanbul.' - Show the HO2 (blank interview sheet) and tell them they are going to complete it about yourselves.. (ISQs) - Give out the sheets and give them 2 minutes to complete. - After Ss finish, regroup them into new pairs. After they change their partners, assign A/B - Write on the WB: As are interviewers, Bs are famous people. Interviewer listens and asks extra questions. (ISQs) - After 3 minutes, tell them to swap roles (WB- Bs are interviewers, As are famous people) - Give them another 3 minutes to talk. (Don't forget to monitor and collect errors) - WC FB: The most surprising thing you found out about your partner. Ask 2 or 3 Ss - Error correction if needed.
1) Tell Ss to look back to the last sentence of the Introduction and read it. - Ask the WC: What is it about? - elicit from the Ss that he is a well-known, best Cuban ballet-dancer. - Ask Ss: What helped Carlos to become a successful dancer? - Tell them they can look at the text. They have to do this in pairs. - WC FB - write Ss' ideas on the WB. Possible answers: - He has faith in himself, he trusts the people around him, learns things quickly, can remeber things for along time, does what ever makes him happy. He's optimistic. 2) - Tell Ss they are going to match the words with the definitions in pairs. - Group checking. - WC FB - write the expressions on the WB: 1) to have faith in - C 2) to have talent - E 3) to have discipline - A 4) to have initiative - D 5) to have an open mind - B 6) to have confidence - F - Work on CCQs for the words: discipline, open mind, confidence (Drill the words) You might go over the other ones, too, if it's needed. 3) GIve out the HO4 and tell Ss to discuss with their partners if they agree or not, Do the 1st one together as an example. WC FB: go over #1 and #3. * section 3) can be skipped.
Write on the WB: What personal qualities do you need in the army? - Tell them discuss in their groups. Encourage them to use the expressions. - WC FB. Possible answers: You need to have discipline and initiative, confidence in your abilities. - When Ss offer ideas, ask why? - Under 'In the army' write these: if you want to be famous? when fail at something? to be a bussinessman/ woman? - Group work: Ss discuss the ideas for the questions. - Monitor, collect errors. - WC FB. Error correction.