Past Continuous Lesson, Luck Storytelling
Intermediate B1 level
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a telling an anecdote with the context of good luck and fortune
To provide gist listening practice using a text about lucky experience in the context of personal anecdote
To provide clarification, review and practice of the past continuous tense in the context of personal anecdote
Procedure (39-55 minutes)
- Say: In previous lesson I heard that some of you are lucky people. How have you been lucky? - Elicit examples from Ss: Can you be lucky in love? Your career? With your family? - Ss brainstorm ways that they have experienced luck or good fortune in pairs. - Write down main topics on w/b.
- Ss listen to T's story about luck. - Ss listen for what the T has been lucky about, choosing one of the brainstorm options on the w/b. - Narrate a model, telling a personal experience being lucky (see Text A in HO1, Clarification for model).
- Ss check their answer with a partner.
- Nominate less vocal Ss to report answer.
- Give Ss page 1 of HO1, Clarification. - Ss cover questions and scan the two texts for one minute. - Ss get in pairs with a new partner. - Ss complete the questions in pairs. - Ss check their answers with another pair when finished. - Monitor work for accuracy. When pairs have come to the correct conclusion, give page 2 of 1 of HO1, Clarification. - Ss complete page 2 in the same pairs.
- Nominate less vocal Ss to report answers. - Highlight that Past Continuous is used to talk about background events. - Model ''I was sitting at home with my family.'' Ss report whether it is strong or weak. - Ss drill pronunciation of the weak form of was and the sentence chorally and individually. - Elicit and write form on the w/b: Affirmative: I was working. subject + was/were + verb+ing Negative: I wasn't working. subject + wasn't/weren't + verb+ing Question: Were you working? Was/were + subject + verb+ing - Draw in schwa above the auxiliary verb forms.
- Ss fill in the gaps HO2, Controlled Practice in pairs. - Post the answer keys on the walls, HO3, Answer Key. - Ss check their answers. - If some pairs finish early, they can complete another fill in the gap activity from HO2.
- Pass out HO4, Task Planning. - Ss write key words about the background events and main actions of their story about being lucky. Ss answer the questions What, When, and Where in their stories being as descriptive as possible. - Ask ICQs about what Ss will include in their stories. - Monitor S work. Offer any brainstorming suggestions to individual Ss, especially with identifying background descriptions for their stories. Help Ss with vocabulary in their stories. Challenge strong Ss to add more background information to their stories.
- Arrange Ss in small groups. - Ss present their stories in small groups. - Ss listen for the What, When, Where for each story. - Monitor and write down good language and that which requires reformulation or correction.
- Point out good language used. - Prompt reformulations and corrections, particularly those using the target language.
- Pair Ss with a partner from a different group. - Ss tell their same story again, but in pairs.