Renting a flat
Elementary A 2 level
• To introduce and give practice in the use of 'How many' and 'How much' through the context of 'Renting a Flat'
To develop students' vocabulary using words they will have encountered in the context of 'renting a flat'
Procedure (30-45 minutes)
- Stick the rooms pictures and the jumbled letters of the rooms on the WB. Try to elicit what they are. -Ask them which things they see in the pictures of the rooms and try to elicit the things in the rooms. - Drill and work on the stress on the elicited words.
- Put the Ss in pairs. -Tell them they will look at the plan and match the rooms to A-E on the plan of the flat and the words with 1-18. - Get a few answers from the Ss and drill and work on pronunciation of these words. - Give the answer key.
- Pre-teach "rent, advert" - Tell the Ss. rent in Istanbul is very high. Ask them how much they pay for their rent - Introduce Alex and Martina to the students and ask questions ; ' What do you see in the picture? What are doing? What do you think?' - Tell them that they look for a flat and they are looking at an ad. - Ask them look at the advert and the plan of the flat and answer the questions. - Answer the questions with the whole class.
- Ask the Ss that the words are countable or uncountable and answer with them. - Elicit the rules of 'how much...?' and 'how many...?' by looking at the questions in the previous exercise. - Focus on the form and pronunciation. - Ask CCQ for checking the understanding. Do we use How much with the words that we can count? – No, we don’t Do we use How many with the words that we can count? – Yes, we do Do we use How much with the words that we cannot count? – Yes, we do
- Hand out the students the HO - Tell them that they will fill in the blanks with how much and how many to complete the questions. - after they filled the questionnaire want them to ask and answer the questions in pairs - ask the Ss if there were any surprising answers for FB