Reading on Inventions
To develop students' skills on prediction, reading for gist, reading for detail, and post reading skills.
To introduce vocabulary items related with inventions.
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
-T will start with a game very similar to hangman, where T will draw lines on the board, divide the class into 2 max 3 groups and elicit letters from them. 1 point will be given for 1 letter and the group that gets the most letters is the winning group. the word will read 'inventions and technology' - T will then introduce the title of the lesson "this is the title of our lesson today, we will do reading and learning about inventions"
- T will pre-teach the following vocabulary 'affordable, shrink / shrunk, urban living and amplifier' that is selected from the text. - starting with affordable, For meaning: T will put up the slip that writes affordable on it and show an object (watch) and say "this was 50tl, its not very expensive, so I was able to afford it - so its affordable." To Check understanding: - T will elicit the opposite of affordable, saying "how would you use affordable in a negative sentence" possible answer: "its unaffordable" - T will then drill Pronunciation, elicit the stress and what kind of word it is: which is an adjective. Conveying the meaning of Shrink/shrunk: - will put the word up on the board then show a picture of a top that looks normal and then show another picture of the same top that got smaller - T will say "my top shrunk due to wrong wash" and write shrunk next to shrink identifying that shrunk is the past tense of shrink. T will clarify further saying that "so it got smaller" To Check understanding: - T will ask CCQ questions as follows: "is this the normal size of my top?" (yes) "did the size get smaller or bigger?" (smaller) "was it because of wrong washing?" (yes) "so did my top shrunk?" (yes) - Then T will drill pronunciation and elicit the stress of the word and what kind of a word it is (verb) For conveying the meaning of urban living: -T will put up the word on the board and introduce two names 'Ahmed and Mahmud' "Mahmud lives in the countryside and Ahmed lives in the city" - T will elicit brief description about the possible living conditions in both places and at the end T will say: "one is country life, and the other is city life or urban life" To Check understanding: - T will ask "are you living country life or urban life?" (urban life). Then T will drill pronunciation, elicit the stress of the word and what kind of word it is. (adjective) For conveying the meaning of amplifier: -T will put up the word on the board and ask "when you go to concerts the music is low or loud?" (loud) " do you know how?" (possible answers: speakers..) "because they use amplifiers", then T will put up the picture of an amplifier. To check understanding: - T will ask CCQ question "if I turn on the amplifier would the music get louder or lower?" (louder). T will drill pronunciation, elicit the stress and what kind of word it is. (noun)
- T will give out the HO that is folded in a way where the text is hidden and its only the title and the picture that shows. - T will instruct "look at the title and the picture in pairs predict what the text might be about" ICQ's - "will you only look at the title on the picture?" (yes) - "will you read the text now?" (no) -"will you predict what the text is about?" -"will you write or talk?" (talk) - after a minute T will elicit ideas of prediction and write them on the board
- After writing the predictions on the board, T will then instruct the SS to read for gist 'to find out what the text is about' and if it matches with their predictions. - T will give 2 minutes. ICQ's - "will you read it carefully?" (no) -"will you read to get gist of it?" (yes) -"so will you read fast or slow?" (fast) -"how many minutes do you have? (2) -After 2 minutes, T will ask them to share ideas in pairs and then T will ask one by one if the predictions were correct or not.
- T will ask the SS turn over their texts, so that they wouldn't immediately focus on answering the questions when they receive it. - T will give out the questions and advice them to look at the questions after few seconds -T will say that "the following questions are about the text and that they should read the text "again carefully and answer them, you'll have 10 minutes ICQ's -"will you read the text again?" (yes) -"will you read fast or carefully?" (carefully) -"will you after talk about the text or answer the questions?" (answer the questions) -"how much time do you have" (10 minutes) - Once the SS have finished reading and answering questions, T will ask the SS to check answers in pairs -Then T will give the answer key for them to check and self correct their answers
- T will put the SS into small groups of either 3's or 4's - T will write the question 'what do you think has been the most important piece of technology in the last 100 years? - T will say "among all the inventions, I think transport is the most important piece of technology because now travelling is easier and affordable" - T will provide the instructions; " I would like you to also discuss in your groups (pointing at the question) what you think the most important piece of technology is and why you think so, you have 7 minutes" -T will then nominate some SS to report the decisions to the WC - During the discussions if any mistake was made T will make a note of it and do delayed error correction on the board.