Strange Events (mysterious,problems,oddities)
Upper - Intermediate, B2 level
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of mysteries, problems and oddities
To provide practice and clarification some new words in the context of mysteries, oddities and problems
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- Put the Ss in groups - Introduce the topic by asking them to describe some pictures. - Hand out twelve pictures showing the cases in Ex.1 will be given to each group - Tell the Ss that they need to look at the photos, choose and write a title for each photo. - Groups swap papers and see how different or similar their ideas were. - Go through the answers with the Ss on th board quickly. - Try to elicit spoon bending, ghost, murder, telepathy, miracle etc. in the feedback
- Hand out the short paragraphs to each group - Tell them that they will read the phrases and match them to the short paragraphs - Monitor and take note of the vocabulary they have difficulty with. - Briefly check their understanding of the vocabulary using CCQs. - Groups swap papers and check their answers. - T Check the answers with the Ss.
- Give them the HO - make sure students are familiar with the adjective in Ex.2. - Use CCQs to find out if they know the words. - Ask them the questions.
- Put the Ss in groups - Ask the Ss if they know of any similar cases - tel them that they are going to share their ideas with each other. - Remind them that they need to give details in their answers. - Get a few Ss to tell the class the strangest thing they've heard from their partners.
- Put them in pairs - Handout the HO - Tell them that they are going to fill the gaps on page 64. - Hand out the answer key.