Assessment TP 6
The main aim of this lesson is grammar so students will be able to use modals of obligation in the past simple tense correctly.
The sub aim of this lesson is speaking about a shopping area in the town.
Procedure (40-49 minutes)
- To activate prior knowledge I will have the Ss match the phrases a-d in the gaps 1-4 in exercise 1. - To begin to elicit the form, I will remind the Ss of Kyra from the text they have just read and start to elicit: - Did her mum allow Kyra to leave her at home when she was little? I write on WB Kyra's mother couldn't leave her at home when she was little. I ask: How about when she was 14, was she allowed to stay at home alone? I write: Her mum could leave her at home when she was 14. When Kyra's mum was ill who went to the market? Ss answer kyra. Then, Kyra must go. Past? I write Kyra had to go to the market on WB. When her mum was ok, did she have to go with her mum? So I write Kyra didn't have to go to the market because Kyra could stay at home on her own. - After writing the sentences on WB to model the language I explain the form in its positive, negative, and question form as well as the tense and formula. - Explain that we don't need the word "to" when using "could" - Going back to ex 1 and take FB. 1.c, 2.d, 3.a, 4.b.
- In pairs Ss complete the text in exercise 2. - No FB yet.
-Ss listen to CD to check their answers. - With a partner Ss discuss their answers. - I take FB. 1.had to. 2.didn't have to. 3.couldn't. 4. had to. 5. couldn't. 6. didn't have to. 7. could. 8. had to.
- Ss work individually to think about when they were children and share about their experiences with partners using modals of obligation (could, had to) into positive, negative and question form. - Ss compare their answers with their partners. - I take FB e.g. I ask a student " Olcay, tell me one thing that your partner shared with you".
- In pairs Ss are going to read a text to find out how many shops are mentioned. - I give answer key for checking.
- In groups of 3, Ss choose a shopping area in their town and they can talk to their partners to describe the shopping area. - This activity also reinforces vocabulary that Ss would be using for their next lesson.