Upper-intermediate , B2 level
to provide clarification of vocabulary related to the context of big events and celebrations
To provide fluency speaking practice in a discussion related to big events and celebrations
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- Write dates and years on the borad - Encourage them to guess what these dates and years represent in Turkey . - Elicit '' big events ,celebrations ,memorable events..''
- set ss in 3 groups - give them the pictures - ask them to tell what each picture represents and write the answers on the board ( in different sections ) - give the students the matching cut-ups and ask them to stick them on the right section on the board. - do the WC feedback and explain new vocabulary
- In their groups tell ss to read the questions and discuss them . - remind the ss to use the vocabulary they were exposed to in the previous task. - monitor - WC feedback : nominate students to tell what they learned about their friends
- set ss in pairs - give them the matching cut-ups and ask them to match the adjectives wit the right meaning - monitor - feedback and write answers on the board
- set ss in 2 groups - give the first group task sheet 1 . - give the second group task sheet 2 - ask them to use the extreme adjectives of the previous task and fill the gaps . - monitor and hepl if neccessary - the two groups now switch sheets and check each others' answers . - wc feedback.
- write intensifiers on the board : very , really, quite, absolutely , completely , totally , - ask ss if they think these intensifiers can be used with all extreme adjectives - elicit answers and write exemples on the board - give answer key and explanation sheet for more clarification .